Chapter 9 (Part 4) AS LIGHT AS A FEATHER

"Are you sure this is the right address?" I ask, having already rung the squeaky doorbell for the tenth time.

"I'm sure. The boy knows everyone on the island."

Yesterday Hebe wasted no time: together with Mr. Red Shorts, she found out the information about Marilag.

The girl died about seventeen years ago. The exact cause of her death was not established, agreeing that it was an accident. The weather was pretty bad: it was raining, visibility was low, the storm was brewing; the girl stumbled, fell off the pier, hit her head on a stone and... drowned. Nothing was mentioned about suicide, murder, or her sexual orientation. An ordinary sweet eighteen-year-old girl who, for some reason, decided to go to the pier alone amidst the thunderstorm.

"Let's go back! What about buying you a sexy swimsuit on the way home and have a swim? We've spent almost two days here, but you have never been to the beach! Let's go, huh?" Hebe is capriciously hugging my hand.

"No, we can't leave everything like that. This woman is the only one of her friends who stayed on the island."

This much is true: most of those who could know Marilag good enough either dispersed in all directions, unable to stay in the place where everything reminded of the deceased or died a natural death.

"What do you want?" I hear English. We are opened by a stylish woman about thirty-five to thirty-seven. She is wearing a classic white shirt and a high-waisted black trousers; an expensive men's black matte watch on her wrist looks rad; she has a short pixie haircut: all in all, she gives an impression of a very confident businesswoman. She was probably about to go to work; most likely she's working in one of the beautiful hotels on the other side of the island.

She gives an anxious look to Hebe who snorts and puts her strong and highly "proprietary mood" hand on my shoulders. Then the woman timidly looks at me and sighs.

"Sorry to have bothered you!" I'm trying to release from Hebe's strong, dominant embrace. Are you Amihan Roxas? We have come to you to talk about Marilag Abantas. You were supposed to study with her in highschool..."

The girl's eyes widened, and she slammed the door in front of us.

"I told you. Nothing will come of this venture. It's so earlyyyy! I want a latte and a sweet bun or Halo-halo..." she is pulling me away from the doorway.

"But you said that the only way to get rid of her "loop" is to give the ghost the opportunity to talk with someone from the past, to understand the problem or to forgive!"

"Or to take revenge! Don't forget about it too!"

"Please! I know it sounds pretty crazy! But Marilag needs your help! She got stuck in a "loop" on the pier and... and it looks like she's still waiting for you there!"

Let's be honest, if I were Ms. Roxas, I would definitely stay inside and wait until we leave her, but the lock clicked and Amihan is standing in front of us again.

"Who might have thought!" the witch mutters.

"Shhh!" I'm hissing at her. "Please, forgive her! Ms. Roxas, believe us!"

"Oh, don't worry, Velia. Sheee believes," Hebe says irritably. "It's just hard for Ms. Roxas to admit that she screwed up, failed poor Marilag seventeen years ago. She didn't come, having being too afraid back then, and now – look at her – she is alone. She understood at last that the traditional relations are not for her, but it's too late!"

Unlike stregas, witches can easily show themselves to mere mortals when they want it, only I can see all supernatural things nonstop, as it turned out.

"Why are you saying that, Hebe! Please, forgive us!" I'm so ashamed of her aggressive behavior towards the woman.

"She's right," Amihan replies in a colorless voice. "It's all my fault. Her death is on my conscience. Bahala na,*" says the girl barely audible. "I'll go with you."

* whatever happens, happens