Chapter 20 (Part 3) HUGS'N HEBE

Hebe lets out a strange moan rushing to me. She squeezes my face between her palms, examining me attentively, "Does anything hurt you? Your weaves look fine, thank Hecate!"

I'm about to answer, but I see that something has changed in the room overnight: on the bedside table there are little bubbles with some coloured liquid inside, some of them are empty (they certainly were not here! I would have noticed!); the curtains are tightly drawn as if someone was afraid to let the light into the bedroom; one of the creepy healer witches with amber eyes stands on the doorstep. Hebe turns to the spooky woman, not taking her gentle but tenacious hands from my face; she nods to her.

"I'm sure you can handle it yourself, Princess. The critical moment has passed," with these words, she silently leaves my room like a ghost in a black garment.

Hebe lifts my T-shirt in a familiar way, looking at my weaves that are slowly floating on my tummy – they have become as pale as Hebe's ones, but hers are beautifully grayish-blue like the specks in her marble eyes, mine are just dull gray.

"Stop it!" I pull my shirt back. My heart is beating faster. I, obviously, missed something while I was sleeping.

Hebe ignores my protest trying to examine my skin again.

"What's going on here after all! Why did this creepy woman come here again? Are you ill?"

"You've had a transitional moment, but you care about me! Why are you so cute?" Hebe kneels in front of me.

I glance at her in surprise. My witch looks tired, her movements seem heavy.

"Don't you remember anything?" she moves closer to me, touching my leg with her hip.

I'm afraid to ask what happened, "I came into the room and fell asleep right away."

"Fell asleep?" gasps Hebe, squeezing my hand tightly as if I'm already on my deathbed. "You've had a transitional moment! Like... like a fever or delirium! For young witches it always happens when their weaves appear, but they are too small, thus it passes away rather quickly and almost unnoticeable like a mild cold for humans. But you are a completely different matter! We thought that you wouldn't experience this because you are an adult, and there were few similar precedents to compare with." Hebe is trembling a little. Mouse crawls out from under my disheveled hair (she has been sitting on my shoulder so quietly that I completely forgot about her!) and runs to Hebe. I want to stop my pet, because I don't know how the witch might react to her.

"Hello," the witch says quietly, taking my familiar in her arms and pressing her little body against the cheek as if seeking comfort. "Thank you for your quick reaction: it was probably become the cause of her life!"

I thought that Hebe would object that I had Mouse, knowing what familiars and their witches love to do together, but to my surprise, Hebe likes her, and Mouse is not afraid of Hebe, behaving the same way she behaves with me: she's brazenly crawling over the witch surely begging to be fondled.

"Why are you talking about my life?"

"You passed out and fell like a sack of potatoes to the floor!"

I don't like the comparison with a sack of potatoes at all, but I freeze listening to her.  This has never happened to me: a memory loss!

"Am I sick or something? Is the transitional moment an illness?"

"No! Noooo," the witch hurries to calm me down. "All witches have this and I had it too, but I was very young, and, honestly, I don't remember anything, because it was too long ago. Mothers usually know when the transition will happen to their daughters, and they prepare all the protective and beneficial amulets in advance. I... I had to foresee everything... prepare you... " she speaks with pauses, and Mouse, feeling Hebe's mood, lurks at her trembling thumb.

"You're not my mother to worry about such things," I say with a serious face, but I cannot help smiling.

"Glory to Hecate I am not your mother, otherwise we would have lost and missed a lot!" Hebe says gruffly. She is still worried, but her mood is clearly improving.

"Although..." I touch my chin with the tip of my index finger, "I don't understand who is who here: you spanked my ass, but you took my breasts in your mouth too. Pretty contradicting actions I must say..."

Hebe and Mouse are looking at me in surprise, and I can't tell who is looking more expressively. Then Hebe bursts out laughing, "I'm so happy that you're fine! Are you really fine?" She puts both her hands on my shoulders.

I can feel my cheeks turning pink and hot from her closeness. It seems to me that if a thousand years passes, I will be as embarrassed and bashful as if it's our first time.

"Congratulations on your first and hopefully last familiar, my dear Pythia!" she repeats word for word the congratulations of the other witch.

Hebe makes a slight bow of her head, "Thank you for taking care of Velia," the marble-eyed says to Mouse, kissing her between the ears (Well, hahahahah this is the scene from Stuart Little!)

"You've found each other!" I chuckle, looking at their happy puppy love.

Straightening my long hair, I glance at my witch from under my fluffy eyelashes.

Hebe is confused too. She is slowly approaching me on her fours; she freezes and then wraps her arms around me, breathing in and out as if feeling the incredible sense of relief. I can't help but moan: I surrender.

"Forgive me."
"Please forgive me for everything," we both say almost simultaneously.

"You don't need my help here," Mouse says in a pleased voice of a brilliant matchmaker, hiding in a crack under the door.

"How... How can she speak like a human using her mouse vocal apparatus?" I ask out of place, slowly falling into a state of bliss from the fact that I'm finally next to my Hebe.