Chapter 24 (Part 2) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VELIA

Nota bene: the chapter features some strong words!

"This is for you. Happy birthday, Velia," said Hebe almost in a whisper. She handed me a bundle of ruby ​​wine color that was tied with a golden ribbon. So gorgeous! Even the ribbon looked expensive.

"Thank you so much," I answered timidly. I'm not used to be given such elegant gifts. My parents were always giving me something useful and, as a rule, insanely boring, and my friends were always presenting me some kind of nonsense. I stoically accepted all presents, thanked the givers, trying to portray the sincerest smile on my face, wondering why on earth their choice fell on this or that particular thing: Lord, how blind I was; how I failed to understand that they knew absolutely nothing about me, floating on the surface of our friendship. "My birthday will be at midnight, technically tomorrow..." my cheeks flushed.

I carefully untied the ribbon as if I was afraid to disturb the gift. It turned out to be a floor-length dress in a deep wine shade. I saw such frock styles only in historical films, although, if I were rich, then, probably, at social parties and receptions, I would wear something similar.

"How beautiful!" I pressed the dress to my chest admiring its design and style: long sleeves, but cocky off shoulder neckline, and long flare skirt.

"Will you try on a dress?" Hebe asked with a tint of hope in her voice. She was sitting like a pleased cat on a stove bench. The witch chose an excellent spot to look at everything from above.

"Uhm," I nodded in agreement.

I swiftly put off my light nightgown throwing it on the bench. I got lost in skirt's folds, since the dress was very long. I could clearly hear how Hebe's breathing quickened.

"Can I help you with the dress?" she asked, looking at me from the stove.

"No, no, I'm good!" I huffed, trying to put one of my breasts where it should be.

Hebe giggled, covering the mouth, her cheeks are glowing like tender pink sunset.

Something is hitting the wooden floor of izba.

"Oiii! What is this?" I didn't understand what it was. "It looks like it rolled under the bench. Hebe, did you see where this thing fell?"

"I'll leave you for a minute," Hebe muttered as she quickly jumped down from the height. She heard what I did not hear. What is the point of being a witch if I can't do anything except seeing or foreseeing terrible things?

I carefully lifted my long skirt and squatted down, trying to see what had fallen from the dress. If I crawl under the bench, I would accidentally stain my present.

"Mistress!"

"Devil, you scared me Mouse! What are you doing here?" I asked irritably. My face frowned. I was still afraid of her.

"You need me. You've dropped it!" she handed me something, holding it in her small teeth. I scooped my palms, waiting in irritation, and, as in the children's game "Ring-Ring"*, I got... a ring.

I heard Hebe's footsteps. Mouse hid under the stove; I also want to hide under the stove, but there was only enough room for Mouse. I couldn't find anything better than clenching the ring in my fist.

Hebe's face was worried. Is it because of this ring?

"Is anything wrong, Hebe?" I asked my witch affectionately. I was afraid to say anything, not understanding why I was feeling so good at that moment. It was as if a balloon was inflating in my heart making me weightless. My lips involuntarily stretched into a smile. I pressed the ring in my fist to my heart. Shall I ask her now? Should I tell her that Mouse has just found the ring?

"Mother contacted me. I need to sign some important papers."

"I thought we would go there together?" It was difficult for me to imagine her in the office in front of a computer and a heap of papers to sign. I imagined that we would gracefully come to Ivan Kupala Night together. The ceremony was usually held by a forest stream: witches wove wreaths and let them into the water sometimes together with lighted candles – Pythias could see the future in the water inside a wreath, and young combat witches could distinguish the vague images of their furniture betrothed, although, with their appearance and magical charisma, they could just beckon with a finger anyone they wanted to see in their bed; but that time, the annual ceremony was to be held in the inner garden of the residence for security reasons, especially after the terrorist attack in the secret bar for magical creatures. Rumours that the mages' forbidden organization was planning something were spreading like wildfire. Of course, not all mages were enemies of witches: most of them were devoted allies, although, they did not have the right to remain on the residence territory after reaching a certain age, for them witches always remained their loving mothers, sisters, daughters, partners.

"I'm sorry, you can, of course, come with me, but ma wanted you to rest and get ready for the ceremony: while I am doing boring things, take a bath. I will ask familiars or apprentices to fill it with milk or aromatic herbs, or you can just relax in my room at the headquarters. You won't have time to miss me!" she said apologetically.

"I understand," I averted my eyes, treacherously blushing. "You haven't forgotten anything else, have you?" I painfully tightened my grip on the ring in my palm having had some silly hope in my heart.

Hebe flattered her eyelashes, then she cocked her eyebrow, "I did forget!" My heart started beating faster. Will it happen now? She stood close to me and kissed me passionately, sucking lightly on my lower lip. "Well, I don't seem to have forgotten anything else!" She grabbed a cookie from the table and put it in her mouth in a funny way behind her cheek. "It's time for me to run. Mouse will guide you back to the headquarters. Today there are few magical creatures in the underwood closer to the headquarters: they are afraid of the witches' magic this Night. Hello, Mouse!"

"Hiiiii," squeaked my familiar from under the stove.

She pecked me on the cheek, put her both legs in the wooden bucket with water, and disappeared headlong under the water.

"Bloody witch!" I was left with the ring and the rodent.

*old kids' play