Chapter 24 (Part 4) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VELIA

I felt like a new girl at school. Everyone had known each other for a long time, and I kept on standing aside, unable to relax and eat. Some looked askance at me, but did not come up, as if they thought it was beneath their dignity to get to know me or say 'hello'. Several times I caught Angerona's eyes, which made me feel weird. It was like I was her purebred dog that she had decided to show her friends at a fancy party.

Maybe I should just leave? Nobody would notice my absence. I made a gnarled looking wreath of flowers, but I didn't put it into the water of a tiny stream that was wriggling between the roots: for that I had to walk past Hebe's mother and her terrible witch squad.

"Look, look! She's come!" I heard someone whispering. There was excitement in the garden.

"She hasn't visited Kupala Night for many summers," said the dark witch with a disbelief in her voice as if she could not trust her own eyes.

Many began to whisper, some of them started smiling and bowing. Angerona stopped talking, she put her hand on her hip, squinting her eyes. It was hard to say what was behind the Queen's expression.

I was trying to figure out what had caused such excitement among them. Standing on tiptoe, I tried to make out the one who had just come, but soon everyone parted, and I saw my Hebe.

Of all women and familiars of both genders present in the garden, the crowned Princess was looking only at me. Our eyes were locked. Her gaze was pierced and mesmerized. I felt how excited I was, how my hands were shaking just from waiting for her touch; I felt how her presence caused shivers to run down my spine. Everyone seemed to want her attention, but her attention was focused only on me.

"Why doesn't she greet her mother and the elders?" I heard the annoyed witches' whispers. Although the old witches looked young, they definitely behaved like real old grandmas. They did not hide their displeasure, since they did not know that I was of any importance and close with the Princess. I could have bet that no one would dare say that in person to Hebe. They had no choice but to hiss like snakes among the grass and trees.

Hebe resolutely headed in my direction like a pirate ship cleaving the green sea waters.

She was the only woman who was not wearing a dress. She was like a kpop star with less smoothness which made her real unlike ideal idols. I loved it when she wore croptops: they let me admire her firm abs at my pleasure; the high waisted wide leg trouser looked interesting when paired with her new sheathed epee. All in black but bright red jacket, which did not last long on her shoulders: with a light movement she threw it on the head of a familiar; his witch pouted out her lips, but, of course, she didn't dare to say anything.

Without words, my Hebe cupped the back of my head during the hug, "Sorry, baby, I'm a bit late. I missed you..."

"Mmmm..." I practically felt the weaves moving not only on my body, but also on the bodies of all the witches that were looking at us.

What if no one here talks about it or shows it openly, what if lesbian relationship between witches are acceptable only behind closed doors like in my country: do whatever you want, we don't care as long as it's not in public.

"Are you afraid of them?" she whispered. "Trust me, today you should be afraid of me... a little later... in bed," she murmured.

I giggled unexpectedly. Hebe's eyes widened for a second; she realized that I was not afraid of her, at least for now. I'm in a crowd of creepy witches: what could possibly go wrong?! Hebe's face became softer and more tender; she kissed me in front of everyone. Even when the kiss stopped, I stood for a few more seconds with my eyes closed.

"Shall we go dance?" Hebe took me by my waist. It seemed to me that she was looking at someone at that moment, but there were so many people and so much foliage and magic around that it was difficult to say.

"I can't dance," I said with fear in my voice. "And there is no music here..."

"Why do we need music?!" Hebe laughed, looking around the crowd. "Does anyone here think that I can't dance without music?" she asked the witches. No one answered. The minute of confusion ended and everyone went about their business again, sometimes glancing at us. Some young witches with wreaths looked very upset, a very pretty girl with a small button nose in a thin green dress threw her wreath into the bushes.

"Hebe," I softly touched her hand, intertwining my fingers with hers. "Are you okay with your paperwork? Is everything fine?"

"Fine. Why?" Hebe snorted. She was angry, but not at me, but I was hurt. "Sorry," she said when she saw my worried and slightly offended face. "Let me tell you tomorrow, but this is nothing. Nothing to worry about. Working moment." She kissed my upper lip again; she did it not defiantly, but tenderly and intimately. That was my Hebe: tender and affectionate like a sunny May day. "You made a very beautiful wreath. And you are risky: not many would choose this plant for prediction. Everyone usually takes simple field humans' herbs. You will be a strong witch!" she said confidently.

I didn't want to disappoint her and admit that a little mage gave me flowers, and as for the wreath, she clearly flattered me: no one here had ever made a more lopsided monster.

"Beautiful," she said, looking either at the flowers or at my breasts.

With bated breath, I stood on tiptoe and put a red wreath on her head. I heard someone's sigh of surprise. Hebe touched the wreath as if she didn't believe that it was on her head.

"Everyone wants to see the future in their wreaths. I see it clearly and without magic," I said.