finality

A/N: this chapter has so MUCH in it, I hope you guys are alright with that. We're just starting with a rollercoaster of chapters ;)

_

By midnight, the couple had bid their goodbyes.

It was an emotional rollercoaster ride. Rebecca almost didn't want to let the girl go, but [Name]'s promise of visiting them before they finally leave finally managed to get the emotional woman to retract her hands from the girl's form.

The Lambert's watch with somber but content expressions as [Name] and Five made the trek back into the red car, the girl lagging behind as she take glances back to the family she's come to love. Reassuring herself this isn't goodbye yet, she gives them a smile and a wave. Rebecca does not hesitate to reciprocate the action.

Just like before they left, the ride home was silent. [Name] remained still with her bleary eyes ahead, the road dark and somewhat lonely despite being in the car with somebody else. Everything feels like water—which she feels like she's under, with the noises distant and her lungs burning.

She didn't know how to describe everything other than exhausting.

Everything is so exhausting.

But her mind eases a bit when they finally arrive at Aurelia's place. [Name] was the first one out, but despite this, Five is the one who passed the girl first. He looks back to her still and tired eyes, seeing the cloudiness blurring her hues. He couldn't help but sigh. Somehow, seeing her so hurt brings a shot of ache in his chest.

And so, Five walks back to her, embracing her form without hesitation. Her reaction is slow, but she clings to his back and blazer as she sniffles, obviously trying her hardest not to cry.

Being in his arms eased the pain, the hurt in her heart muting into numbness. But it still feels heavy as Five holds her chin up, expression soft as he whispers, "everything will be okay." It's a soft breath of promise, and even though doubt lays itself clear over her mind, she relaxes into him—clinging to him and his words of comfort.

He seals the promise with a kiss.

When he pulls away, she settles her forehead on his shoulder for a moment, murmuring, "will you stay with me tonight?"

[Name] receives an answer in the form of Five hugging her tighter, pressing a chaste kiss on her temple.

Relaxing her sore muscles, [Name] exhaled tiredly, body flushed against the white, soft sheets. With half-lidded eyes, she watches mindlessly the vintage clock by the bed, counting the seconds that tick by with Five still yet to enter.

Maybe she spoke too forward...Five must've changed his mind about it, and is thinking of ways to avoid the girl. Her lips curl downwards, eyebrows furrowing as she tries to shake her overwhelming thoughts away. Why did she have to ask that? Does he hate her now?