There's No Place Like Home

Peter Morris

I watched as my Mom put me (or rather a baby version of me) to bed, pulling up the blanket to right below the baby's chin. Although I was in the room watching, Mom didn't seem to see me. She had her attention entirely focused on the baby. Gently, Mom kissed the baby on its forehead, and the boy fell asleep. I heard Mom whisper her usual goodnight in the baby's ear, "Goodnight my Peter, I love you." Then everything blurred and I woke up.

Still drowsy, I opened my eyes and yawned. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust, but when they did I grew very tense. I wasn't in my bedroom; I wasn't even familiar with the room I was in. As I sat up, I took a look around. The room was about fifteen by fifteen feet, and it had a single door and opposite of the door was a window, which early morning light shined through. There was a small desk with a chair in the corner beside the window, and my bed (though it wasn't my bed) was on the other side. The walls were gray, and the tiled floor an off-white color.

Where am I? I wondered, feeling my heartbeat start to pace. Quickly, I got out of bed and looked out the window. Outside I saw a rocky, desert-like ground, and in the distance a couple green mountains and a tropical forest. On the far opposite side of those was a cliff drop-off and I could heard the distant sound of waves crashing on the beach and cliff side. Peter, I don't think we're in Illinois anymore, I thought, halfheartedly trying to cheer myself up.
Suddenly, I heard a couple footsteps from somewhere beyond the door and I slowly walked across the room. Leaning my head against the door, I strained my ears to hear more footsteps. I couldn't hear any though, so I turned the knob and slowly opened. The door opened up to a hallway, and across from me was another door. As I looked to the right I saw that the hallway ended after about seven feet, leading to a door. Looking to the left, I saw a couple more doors, and at the end of the hallway was a large room, the living room I guessed.

I heard several more footsteps, coming from behind the door in front of me. Unsure but unable to think of what else to did, I took a couple steps and slowly turned the knob of the door. It creaked a little as I opened it, and I could feel a sudden tension from behind. I had just barely opened it when I felt someone grab the knob from within the room and hold it, not allowing me to open the door any further.

"Who are you?" A familiar voice asked from behind the door. It didn't take me a second to recognize my best friend's voice.

"Alex, it's Peter," I replied, taking my hand off the doorknob. Alex opened the door the rest of the way and I gave a sigh of relief when I saw him, knowing that I was not alone in my weird situation.

Alexander Roman was an inch shorter than me, yet a whole year older. He had light blond hair and pale gray-blue eyes and (to be honest) was probably the most handsome guy I knew.

"Peter, what's going on? Where are we?" Alex asked. I just shrugged and took a look inside Alex's room. It looked just like mine had. "Is anyone else here?"

"There're a few more doors down there," I said as I pointed down the hallway. Decidedly, I walked down to the next door, and Alex followed. No sound could be heard from behind the door, but when I knocked I heard the ruffling of bed sheets, followed by footsteps. The door opened and I saw another familiar face.

"Pete? Alex? What-what's going on?" Rose asked confused. Despite the strangeness of the situation, I couldn't help but smile warmly at her.

Rose Davis was the most beautiful girl I had ever known. She had shiny, jet-black hair and creamy white skin, and her eyes were a vibrant sea green. Her cheeks had a natural pinkish blush, and her skin was absolutely flawless. She was a couple inches shorter than me, and a year younger, so I thought she was my perfect match.