Chapter Forty-Two: "A Friend...Has the Same Enemies as You." -Abraham Lincoln

Alan Fox

Thanks to the medicine, Daniel improved—very quickly I must add. It seemed almost impossible that he could have been so deathly ill for so long, only to get better in a matter of a few days. If it wasn't for his still physically weak body, I have no doubt he would have already taken revenge on Peter's group.

Yes, his brush with death had had no effect on his sense of kind justice. Rather it had made him more suspicious and cold than ever before. He didn't even trust us, or at least treated us as little more than teammates who must be tolerated. Even the word 'teammate' wasn't correct, for we were no longer on the same team.

As he continued to progress Daniel grew more and more determined to seek revenge against Peter and his companions. His resolve was added to Wilson's. I got the impression that Amy and Wilson's relationship had turn sour, and I wondered if Peter had anything to do with it. Whatever the case, Wilson was dead- set on attacking Carthage. This formed a strange friendship between the two, who before were always at each other's necks.

As for Fawkes and I, we had no idea what to do. He was initially happy to have Wilson back, as well as Daniel, but as their focus became entirely on destroying Peter's group, Fawkes once again began to withdraw from the forefront. I also kept even closer to the edges than before. Both of us had tried to persuade the two that such a deadly confrontation wasn't necessary, that we should instead group together. But they couldn't be reasoned with, and soon they had Rose tied-in as well. I could understand why she would have a thing or two against her former companions, but I couldn't help but remember her hesitation that night when we snuck away. Even now, I saw glimpses of that hesitation when she would talk with Daniel and Wilson.

"Fawkes!" I heard Wilson shout from one of the rooms, probably Daniel's. Fawkes turned to me and I saw the despondent look on his face. I felt pity for him, and dutifully followed after.
Inside the room Daniel was sitting on the bed (not quite fully recovered enough to stand for long periods) and Wilson stood beside him. Rose also was present, sitting beside Daniel. I could almost feel Fawkes regaining his firm composure that had been his trademark of a leader, and did my best to stand tall too. Not that they seemed to really notice my presence.

"What is it?" Fawkes asked.

"I have a plan," Daniel said, his voice still raspy but his eyes burning with a frightening passion. There were times when I wondered if he truly was recovering, or simply getting sicker.

Neither of us had to ask as to what the plan was for, so Fawkes simply said, "Okay."

"Remember how Carthage is situated?"

"On a cliff side."

"Yes, and what was on the other side?"

Fawkes thought for a moment. "Trees and plants, except for that path that leads down to the beach."

"Correct. Now, how easy do you think it would be to burn those plants?"

"Probably not really easy, they're too green and moist."

"Yes, so why don't we get a blow torch and let it burn!"

Daniel had lost his mind. But I would never say that out loud. Fawkes scrunched his lips, as he was no doubt wondering if the antidote had actually caused brain damage.

"Daniel," Fawkes started as his rubbed his temples, "There are no blow torches." Fawkes, seeing there was no point to hear the rest of the plan, was slowly walking backwards to the door. Daniel seemed insulted and angry at Fawkes statement.

"Well let's ask for one! Who's to say that those kidnappers aren't watching us right now!" Daniel looked to and fro, scanning the bedroom. Wilson was nodding, as though actually agreeing with what was said. I guess it would make sense, in a way. If they left us a note, why can't we write them a note?

"Brilliant," Wilson thought aloud, "If they can leave us messages, then we can too!" Daniel proudly nodded as Wilson caught on. I guess there is a method behind all madness. That must also mean that I'm mad since I thought that it could possibly work.

Fawkes intervened, "Where are you going to leave the note? On their front porch!?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if they come into our rooms and watch us sleep," Rose commented. "We could leave it on our front door."

Fawkes was now unable to keep his mouth and eyes from opening wide as he stared at the three as if they were baboons covered in icing. "You know what," he obviously didn't want to remain in the room any longer, "Leave the note. But don't be all sad and confused when nothing happens!" Storming out of the room, he slammed the door shut, forgetting that I was left inside with the psycho apes.

The three just sat in silence, each one thinking of what to do. Whether they were sensible thoughts or senseless thoughts, I wasn't entirely sure. But I decided to leave the room, knowing that I didn't want to be on Fawkes' bad side. My footsteps were oddly noticed though.

"What do you think Alan? There has to be some action going on in that brain of yours." Wilson caught me as I laid my hand on the doorknob. I couldn't tell if he was trying to humiliate me or actually wanted my opinion. "What would be your action plan?" Wilson asked as I turned around to face the trio.
All I could do was clear my throat. I didn't want to be on a certain side, technically. I wanted to remain on the border and watch decisions be made from other people, from a distance. Everyone probably thinks of me as being useless.

Their stares were boring into me, and I felt myself stiffen as if they could actually push me with their eyes. Daniel eventually just shook his head while Rose was chuckling at my stupidity. Wilson waited patiently, that is, until it wore out.

He sighed, "Okay then." I took that as my ticket to leave. And I turned around. "Remember who the enemy is, Alan." As I shut the door behind me, I could only guess that our enemies were different. His enemy was Carthage, and mine... I was yet to decide.