Chapter Thirty-five: All Good Things Must Come to an End

Wilson Johnson

Where is that girl? I wondered. Amy had told me she would visit me once she woke up, yet she hadn't come. I wondered if it had to do with the big fight between Peter and Menelik that Izzy told me about. Apparently Peter finally had got his comeuppance, which made him cry like a girl. And (even better) he had been kicked out of Carthage! Imagine that!

"Hey Willie (hate that name!), did you want a glass of water? I can't remember if you said yes or not," Izzy said, peering into my room.

"Don't call me that!" I exclaimed. 

"Call you what? Willie?"

"Yes that!"

"Yes what?"

"Yes what you said before!"

"Yes glass of water?" I clenched my teeth and threw my pillow at her. I wished I had something harder nearby.

"Jeez, no need to get all wrapped up. I was just trying to get you to laugh," Izzy said as she caught the pillow. Maybe I should've thrown my vomit-filled trashcan at her...

"Well then don't call me that!" I yelled. "I've always hated it when you call me that."

"You didn't when we were little," Izzy reminded me.

"That's cuz you couldn't say 'Wilson'," I protested. She shrugged and smiled. "Have you seen Amy around?"

She shook her head. "Nope." She gave that knowing grin of hers as she asked, "Do you like Amy?"

"None of your business little sister," I replied. She sat down on the edge of my bed.

"Come on, you can tell me!" She said. "She seems like a nice girl, quiet but pretty." I smiled. Amy was pretty...

Izzy playfully punched my shoulder. "Come on! Tell me!"

"Fine," I sighed, trying to get in a comfortable position. I hadn't been able to leave my bed since arriving at Carthage, except for when I had to use the restroom. And even then I had to be carried—all the way there.

"Yes, I do like Amy," end of discussion. That was all she needed to know.

"Really? That's all you have to say?" Izzy asked.

"What else do you want me to say?"

"Well, last I remember you wanted nothing to do with girls. And now all of a sudden you like one."

"Have you ever heard of puberty Izzy?" She rolled her eyes.

"What I mean is that you honestly seem to like her, not just that you're attracted to her. I'd never thought you'd like a girl like that. Pete tells me that you only came here because she did...you aren't the type to be persuaded. What is it about her that makes her different than all those other girls at school? Why do you like her?"

I didn't say anything at first. Why do I like Amy? Because she's pretty? Because she's nice? I liked her for both of those things actually. And there was a certain innocence and vulnerability to her that drew me as well. She needed a man to protect her, and I intended to be that man.

Suddenly, that big brute Enkidu was in my room. I gave him an annoyed look as Izzy asked, "Is something wrong?" He shook his head.

"Alex and Ronny brought Peter and Amy (What?!) back," he replied. "Just thought you'd want to know."

"Oh, thanks for the info!" Izzy smiled. "He sure wasn't gone long." Enkidu nodded in agreement and left. Izzy turned back to me and saw my angry face.

"What's wrong?" She asked. Do you really have to ask? 

"What's he mean Amy was with...him?" I asked, feeling an ever-growing hatred for that girl snatcher.

"Not with him, with Pete."

"That's what I meant! Why was Amy with Peter?!"

"How would I know? I didn't even know she had left." I frowned. I knew Amy had a thing for Peter (who didn't know?) but I hadn't thought she'd ever act on it. Still, it was possible that Pete had forced her to go with him so that he wouldn't be alone. Being the coward he was, he probably did just that. I balled up my fists, wishing I could just smash his face in.

Without a care for my still recovering foot, I pushed the covers off and got out of bed. My foot hurt so I wasn't able to put much weight on it, but I could walk.

"What are you doing? Get back in bed!" Izzy commanded me. She should've known any command she'd give me be would have been futile.

"I'm going to find Amy," I answered, making my way to the door. Izzy blocked it.

"Calm down Wilson," she said slowly, as though I was slow or something. "Don't do anything stupid."

"Like what?" I asked, though we both knew what stupid things I had done. I heard the sound of people talking outside and (with some difficultly) walked over to the window. Outside I saw Alex and Ronny talking to Brute and Beethoven. With them was Pete. Beside him was Amy.

Abruptly Beethoven and Brute looked over to their right, at what I couldn't see. I thought it was Menelik, because I heard his voice in an angry shout. Quickly, Beethoven, Brute, and Alex ran over to the right, leaving Ronny and Peter and Amy. Ronny said something, which made Peter laugh and smile down at Amy. She returned his smile. He said something but I don't think she replied, instead she just stared up at him. Suddenly, he bent down and kissed her.

Kissed her.

"I'm gonna kill him," I swore.