Chapter Thirty-Eight: Birds of a Feather Flock Together

Isabella Johnson II

My brother was a murderer. My brother—a murderer.

"Menelik!" Ludwig screamed, on his knees as he looked over the cliff at his falling friend. For a moment he looked as though he was about to jump after him, but Alex held him back.

Everyone was quiet after that. Pete's eyes were wide and he was looking at Wilson with disbelief. Actually, (except for Ludwig) everyone was looking at Wilson with disbelief. Including me.

Ludwig was the first to break the long silence. He stood up and turned to Wilson. His eyes were red and his face distorted with pain.

"You," Ludwig murmured. Even in the absolute silence it was hard to hear him. Wilson opened his mouth but no words came out. "You...you killed him." Ludwig's body seemed weak as he slowly walked toward my brother. He looked like he was about to pass out.

"Ludwig," Pete said gently, putting his hand on Ludwig's shoulder. That seemed to calm Ludwig down some, but I doubt a simple pat would be enough to hold back the rage of losing his best friend.

It seemed to work for the moment though, and Ludwig, leaning against Enkidu for support, left.

"Uh...I'll go make sure he's okay," Ronny said awkwardly, then hurried after Ludwig and Enkidu. Everything got quiet again and I looked at my brother. He was looking down at the ground, his expression one of shock. I knew he hadn't meant to kill Menelik, but surely he knew that had Menelik not got in the way then it would've been Pete who'd be dead. Had he wanted that? I shuddered as I realized I could believe that he had wanted Pete to die. That he had wanted to kill Pete. Wasn't that what he said he'd do after all?

I heard a choking sob near me and looked at Amy. Her hand went to her mouth as she tried to soften the sobs. I looked at Pete, who was looking at Amy with a sorrowful expression. Then he turned to my brother.

"Leave Wilson," Pete said, his eyes hard and voice firm. Wilson started to slowly shake his head.

"I-I didn't mean..." Wilson said. Pete walked up closer to him, his expression getting angrier.

"Leave Wilson! Now!" I had never heard Pete yell. I don't anyone else had either, except for maybe Alex.

Wilson, knowing it was time to obey, slowly walked away, than began to run, his limp from his bad foot seemingly gone. I watched my brother leave and sighed. I had mixed feelings about him. I loved him because, well, he's my brother. But I had never been particularly close to him. I don't think anyone's been close to him. Was that why he was the way he was? He had gotten into trouble before for his stubbornness, for his fighting, and for his short-temper, and I felt bad that he still hadn't learned his lesson. Then again, I wondered what it would take for him to learn.

I looked at Amy, and saw the bruise beginning to appear below her left eye. That's not gonna be pretty, I thought to myself. Poor Amy. She gently touched the bruising area and winced. Pete noticed and bent down beside her.

"You okay?" He asked, putting his hand over hers. For a moment I wondered what Amy felt about him and my brother. Does she like them both?

Amy shook her head slowly, tears beginning to pour. Pete pulled her to him and embraced her tenderly. I didn't know Amy very well, even though she had been a constant visitor when Wilson was bedridden. But from I had seen of her, she seemed to be a sweet, if awkward, small girl.

Alex sat down beside Pete, his face sad. I had thought he was cute since I first saw him. His eyes were just so blue it was crazy.

"We've got to do something Alex," Pete said suddenly. "I'm sure he'll go to Fawkes' place. They hate us enough without having another person encouraging them to fight." Alex nodded in agreement.