Chapter Twenty-Five: Houston, We Have a Problem

Alexander Roman

When I woke up it was late. I had wanted to get an early start, but I had been sleepier than I thought. Still, I did a quick check to see how everyone else was doing. I was lying back-to-back with Pete, who was sleeping next to Ludwig, who was next to Menelik. Enkidu was over by himself in an awkward position and I assumed he had been trying to keep watched during the night.

Then I noticed Ronny was missing. And Amy and Wilson.

"Ronny?" I said aloud. Perhaps he's just going to the bathroom. But as I called out his name again and got no reply a feeling of dread came over me.

"Peter," I turned around and nudged him awake. He looked at me annoyed at first but got up and stretched. It took him a moment before he noticed there were three people missing.

"Where's Ronny? And Amy and Wilson?" He asked. I shrugged as I gently nudged Ludwig awake with my foot. 

"Hey!" He said, still tired.

"It's time to get up," Peter told him, than turned to me, "Wake up Enkidu and Menelik."

"What's going on?" Ludwig asked.

"Ronny, Wilson, and Amy are missing," I said. "We don't know what happened but we gotta find them." Menelik's face fumed as he stood up.

"Wilson took Ronny to Fawkes' lair, that's what happened!" Menelik said.

"Why would he do that?" I asked.

"Cuz he's a spy! An infiltrator!" Menelik said.

"But they acted like best friends," Ludwig said. I nodded in agreement.

"That's the whole point of infiltrating," Menelik said, "To gain their trust, than turn against them." Peter shook his head.

"I don't think that's what happened," Peter said, "Amy wouldn't let Wilson did that." Menelik sighed, letting Peter know how irritated he was.

"How you know? Just cuz that girl's so quiet don't mean she's innocent," Menelik said to Peter. "You don't know her."

"Yeah I do," Pete said. Then he was quiet for several seconds.

"I think they may have traveled inland," Peter said. "Ronny told me last night he wanted to go to the mountains..."

"And you didn't bother to tell us sooner?" Menelik said.

"I didn't think he'd go without us," Peter said. I sighed and did another scan around the area, hoping to see some sign of Ronny and the others.

I saw nothing.