Chapter Thirteen: Et tu Brute?

Rose Davis

Fawkes, Daniel, Wilson, Alan, and I left the warehouse-apartment the next day. Those three other girls were told to stay behind. Wilson (the super short one) got really mad when Fawkes wouldn't let one of the girls go (some curly-haired girl), but Fawkes wasn't persuaded. The girl said a few words to Wilson, and he eventually dropped the matter.

I led the group, with Fawkes right behind me. For the most part, we just followed along the beach. So it wasn't like I was needed to "direct them", as Fawkes said, but I liked it anyway.

It was night by the time we finally got there. None of the house lights were on, or the fire, which meant everyone had gone to bed already. But that was a good thing, cuz Fawkes told me he wanted to talk to Pete alone. But of course, I wasn't that dumb. I knew better than to send Pete out by himself to meet Fawkes and his gang. So I made it clear to Fawkes that I would only tell Pete to go outside if (and only if) he sent Alan, Daniel, and Wilson away. It would be a one-on-one meeting. Fawkes agreed.

"Where's Daniel? And the others?" I asked as I exited the restroom. It was awkward using that thing, especially if there were people outside waiting for you.

"You said you didn't want them around, so I sent them back," Fawkes said.

"All the way back?" I asked. I didn't expect him to do it by himself. I thought I would have had to remind him.

"Yeah," Fawkes said. I was a little suspicious, but I led him to the Brown House anyway.

"This is where Pete, Alex, and Ronny sleep," I said to him, "I'll go in and get Pete."

"Okay, but Rose..."

"What?"

"I don't want you here when I talk to Pete." I looked at him, again suspicious.

"Why not?" I asked, hands on my hips.

"You said my friends couldn't be here, so I don't want you to be here. I want it just me and Pete," Fawkes said. It was reasonable, but it annoyed me anyway.

"Fine, but remember, I'll be right inside," I warned. Fawkes shrugged his shoulders, as though he couldn't care less. I sighed, annoyed, and entered the house. It felt nice being back (never thought I'd say that!), and I walked as quietly as I could to Pete's door and opened it. It creaked a little, causing Pete to turn in his sleep, but he remained asleep. Still making sure to be quiet, I walked over to him and shook his shoulder.

"Pete? Pete?" I whispered. Pete's eyes snapped opened and he looked at me for a moment. In a second his hands were wrapped around my neck as he hugged me.
"Pete! Let go!" I said, barely able to breathe.

"Oh my gosh Rose! I was so worried! Where were you? Where's Mahal? Are you okay?" Pete started off with a dozen questions as he examined my arms for injuries.

"No," I rolled my eyes and snatched my arms away from him. "But I brought someone for you to meet." Pete frowned.

"Who?"

"His name is Fawkes," I said and suddenly I was aware of how weird, yet cool, of a name that was. "And he's the leader of a group of people who live on the other side of the island. He wants to meet you, just you and him." Pete looked doubtful.

"Oh come on! He's nice (not really), pretty cool (I guess), and he's happy to meet you (Is he?)," I said.

"Well, okay. If you trust him. Are you sure he's alone?" 

"Yes, he wanted it to be just you and him."

"Maybe I should take Alex, just in case—"

"No!" I said, "I mean, he wants it just you and him. But..." I smiled confidently at him, "I already plan on waking Alex, and Ronny. One of Fawkes' friends killed Mahal—"