Chapter Sixteen: Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Amelia Garcia

I scanned the area, waiting for the return of the boys and Wilson. I wondered if my waiting was useless, after all making peace negotiations probably took longer than a few hours, and it took nearly a day to reach Carthage. So, I guessed I was waiting for nothing. But still, I felt a strange feeling. Like something was coming, or something was about to happen. I couldn't decide whether it was of importance, or if it was just something I'd eaten. Those beans did taste funny...

Suddenly, I heard a voice far off.

"Look who decided to wake up." It sounded like Daniel. I looked down the beach and saw the boys. There was Wilson and Alan and Daniel. I saw Fawkes too, and it looked as though he was carrying someone over his shoulder. That someone he suddenly dropped onto the sand, and I heard some gasping, as though the person was having a hard time breathing. I guessed the drop had knocked the wind out of his lungs. Fawkes and the others stood above the person, a boy I was sure, staring down at him. Poor boy.

The bright, guilty moon shined over the scene. A little unsure of myself, I decided to stay by the warehouse-apartment. After all, I could see everything from where I was.

"Well, it's 'bout time," Fawkes remarked. "Welcome to your new, temporary home."
The boy sat up on his elbows, and looked at the building behind me. No one seemed to see me, but I was okay with that.

"Where am I?" The boy asked quietly. I could barely hear him.

"Home sweet home," Daniel answered.

"Auschwitz," Wilson retorted. He sounded upset, and I wondered what had happened.

"He," Fawkes was talking to Wilson but kept his eyes, as well as his grip, on the boy, "will be put in the corner, just as Rose was." I suddenly wondered why the boy was with them. Had something gone wrong with the plans? Had Rose lied and there wasn't another group of kids on the other side?

"Open the door Wilson," Fawkes commanded. Wilson headed right towards the door and it took him a few moments to notice me, even though I was standing right next to the door.

"What you doing out here Amy?" Wilson asked. I smiled.

"Waiting for you to return," I answered. Wilson smiled and opened the door, and Fawkes led the captive boy into the building, Alan and Daniel right behind. Wilson and I followed them in. Fawkes turned on the lights and I heard the boy wince. Then Wilson grabbed my hand and led me to the hallway. But I turned around to get a better look at the boy.

I felt my heart stop beating momentarily as I stiffen, standing up to my full height. I lifted my hand to my heart, which had begun to beat again, but at a pace I didn't know was possible. For a moment I wondered if I was having a heart attack, but I decided I was too young to have one of those. And suddenly it was extremely hot, whereas only a few moments ago it had been relatively cool. I couldn't take my eyes off the boy, and I wanted desperately for him to look in my direction, so that I could see those warm, brown eyes in full view.

"It's very hot isn't it?" I asked once I remembered Wilson was standing beside me. My eyes remained on the boy, as I repeatedly wondered to myself, What is wrong with me? Am I sick? It must be those beans...

"Uh, not really," Wilson replied. Finally, I turned around to him and for the first time noticed the dark, ugly bruise beneath his right eye. It looked really painful.

"Oh my—what happened? Are you okay?" Before Wilson could say anything I retorted, "Well of course you're not okay...man that looks like it really hurts. What happened?"

"Nothing," Wilson answered, turning away from me. Since he didn't want to tell me, I decided it wasn't for me to know.

"We should get some ice or something on it," I said after a moment. I looked around and remembered that we had no ice, and that none of the boxes contained cold material. But there was the bathroom. It had both warm and cold water.

"Come on, lets get some cold water on that," I said as I pulled Wilson by the arm toward the bathroom, which lied at the end of the hallway.

"Who was he, that...boy...you guys took. Was he from Rose's group?" I asked Wilson as I wetted a small towel with cold water.

"Their leader: Peter."

"Peter," I couldn't keep the sigh out of my voice as I said the name aloud. It was only then that I felt Wilson's eyes on me and I saw that he was frowning at me. "What?"

"...Nothing," Wilson said after a while, taking the wet towel out of my hands and putting it to his eye. I knew he was lying, but I decided to drop the matter. I didn't want Wilson to get any more upset.

"He's the one who gave me this," Wilson pointed to his bruise. I frowned slightly and tilted my head, confused. I couldn't see Peter doing that to him, he looked too nice. "He's tougher than he looks," Wilson added with a smile, though he misunderstood my confusion. I quickly smiled back, relieved that the tension was over.

Wilson and I returned to the warehouse to find that Peter had been tied with both hands behind his back. He was sitting on the floor, his head held up proudly in defiance. Before him stood Fawkes, Alan, and Daniel. Marie and Melody were also present, though they were standing a few feet away.

"Daniel, I missed you," Marie said sweetly, coming up to stand beside him. He grinned at her.

"Really? Well that's sweet of you," he replied, turning his attention back to Peter.

"...Did you miss me?" Marie asked, feigning indifference. I saw Melody roll her eyes.

"Of course, I had no one to feather my bed," Daniel grinned. Marie smiled (though I had no idea what he meant by that) and walked back to Melody, who glared at her. I looked back at Daniel, and saw him roll his eyes. Poor Marie, she didn't seem to realize Daniel didn't really like her.

"Well, Peter Pete," Fawkes started as he knelt down to Peter's level, "I got some good news and some bad news. The good news: you're gonna get your own room. The bad news: you're still a hostage."