Chapter Thirty-One: When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do

Alexander Roman

Peter followed Ludwig down the hill and I followed. One of Fawkes' men...here? I wondered to myself. Why would just one of them come and, more importantly, why? The only thing I could think of was that they wanted to get revenge, but just one person couldn't do much against a large group like us.
It took a few moments after we had reached the bottom of the hill before I saw the guy. He was surrounded by Menelik, Enkidu, Amy, Ronny, and Izzy. Only Wilson and Rose weren't present.

"Peter! Can I talk to you for a moment?" The guy said when he saw Peter. Peter turned and gave me a shrug, but he must have known the guy wasn't dangerous because he left with him and went a little distance away from the rest of us.

"I don't remember him," I said to Menelik.

"He's weird," Menelik said, "When he and Fawkes and them first came here, I was fighting him and, get this, he actually begged me to hit him! He wanted me to hit him!"

"Why would he want that?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Cuz he's weird," Menelik said.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Ludwig asked.

"Maybe Fawkes and them are waving the white flag," Ronny said. We all looked at him and he said, "What? You know...the white flag...it means peace..." We continued to look at him confused.

"I don't get it," Ludwig said.

"Oh just shut it!" Ronny said, exasperated, and headed back up the hill.

"That boy got issues," Menelik said.

"You got that right," I said, grinning. Peter and the guy returned shortly afterward.

"Okay guys, this is Alan," Peter said. 

"Sup," Ludwig said.

"And he's decided to join us," Peter said. There was a moment of silence and he added, "He was never really into fighting and all that, he would rather be with us." I felt Menelik nudge me and looked up at him.

"Well he's into something..." Menelik said in a whisper. Aloud he said, "How do ya know we can trust him? What if he was just sent here as a spy?" Maybe it's just the bright sunshine, but I thought I saw Alan's face go pale.

"He isn't," Peter said confidently, "I know him better than you guys do, I was kept captive over there remember? He's not bad."

"But where's he gonna stay? There ain't no room!"

"In the living room at the Brown House."

"I'm telling ya, he's a spy," Menelik said, as though Alan wasn't even present, listening to our every word.

"No he's not," Peter said, his face stern and voice firm. "And if you're scared he's gonna, I don't know, murder you in your sleep, than you can give him your bed and sleep in the living room since it has a lock."

"I'm sleeping in my own bed," Menelik snapped and went back up the hill. I heard Peter sigh.

"Sorry 'bout that Alan, he's a little...moody." Alan shrugged. He didn't seem like much of a talker.

"Well...I guess I can show you around—oh wait! I forgot, Rose wanted to talk about something." Did he just forget our conversation just minutes ago? "Uh...Alex, can you show him around? And maybe introduce him to everyone, except Menelik."

"Sure," I said, though I was annoyed at him. He turned to Alan.

"This is Alex, he will be showing you around," Peter told him and he nodded. Then Peter raced up the hill, rushing to get to that Rose. I looked at Alan and shrugged.

"Well, I guess we better get started," I said and he gave a small smile. I walked him over to Ludwig and, one by one, introduced him to everyone present. Of course, he already knew Amy, who seemed happy to see him. After that I led him up the hill to show him around (as Peter had asked me to do).

"That is the Brown House. It's where Peter, Ronny, Rose sleep, and I. And Amy will be sleeping there tonight, and I guess you will be too. It's the biggest place here, and it has a kitchen, living room, and shower. Oh and that's the only bathroom here, that little outhouse right there. It's not very fun, us all using the same bathroom, and I'll warn you: never go in there right after Ronny.

"Anyway, that's the Boyz Apartment. Ludwig and Menelik sleep there. It's just a simple house, or I guess it's more like a trailer. It just has a couple bedrooms and small living room. Kenya, that house over there, is the same. Enkidu and Izzy sleep there, and Wilson is also there. There used to be another house, which we called New York, but you guys burned it down that one night. See? That's where it used to be.

"Well, I guess that's all. There isn't much. Izzy said we can try planting a garden, but Peter said there's no point in that since we're on a tropical island. The plants will just keep growing where they are, and they aren't that far away. Just down there. Any questions?" He thought for a moment.

"What are the rules?" He asked.

"Well...there're not that many. Basically just stay up here on the hill near the houses and don't leave unless Peter knows, since he's the one in charge. Also, don't be wasteful. We don't know how long we'll be here or anything, so we're trying to be careful about how much we eat and stuff. Other than that, nothing really." Alan nodded.

"Things don't seem to be that strict around here," Alan said. That was the first time he talked without me asking a question. "That's really all?" I thought for a moment before answering.

"Be nice and pray things don't turn out for the worst."