Chapter Forty-Six

Ronald Monroe

If there's ever a good reason to run, it's because someone's coming to kill you. Pete only hesitated for a few moments before he slowly backed away from everyone, the rain instantly drenching his hair and clothes as he took one last look at us all. I felt a little guilty, but I was pretty sure we would be able to keep Wilson and his friends from murdering him. I mean, Fawkes must have been exaggerating. The incident with Menelik had been a sad accident. Wilson would never really kill someone.
Alex almost began to run after Peter, but Fawkes grabbed his arm.

"Stay here! You can help us to calm down Wilson and Daniel!" Fawkes shouted to be heard above the storm. I almost wished I had a camera, it really was something out of a movie.

"What you mean 'calm them down'?" Ludwig shouted angrily. "We're gonna join them! That's what we're gonna do!" Izzy seemed to agree with him, even though she had just said earlier that we should try to convince them to pound him instead. I knew it; she and him had a thing going. She had been spending a lot of time with him lately.

Fawkes and Alex stared in disbelief at Ludwig and seemed ready to argue with him when I heard a familiar voice shout, "We're coming for you Pete! You will regret everything!"

I saw Wilson, followed by Rose and Daniel and two other girls. One of them was pretty hot-looking, but I kept that to myself. Now was not a moment for hooking up.

Fawkes and Alan seemed nervous as they stood beside Alex, and I realized why as Daniel sneered (or scorned, can't remember the right word), "So you are traitors like Amy huh?—" Funny, I hadn't even noticed Amy was missing. I had thought she went with Izzy when it began to rain, but from the look on her face as Daniel said her name I could see she thought Amy had been with us. "—Well then, we will deal with you later. First, where is Peter?"

"He ran off, down there," Ludwig answered quickly, not at all bothered by having given away Pete's location. I suddenly noticed the gun in Daniel's hand, and saw Wilson and Rose each had a sharp knife. Wait... are they really gonna kill him? No, they can't be that mad!
I couldn't stay quiet any longer, but I had absolutely no interest in talking to Daniel. I stepped close to Wilson and touched his arm, hoping to only get his attention. He looked at me, and the anger on his face was not like the Wilson I had known.

"Hey, you aren't really going to—you know—kill Pete right? Just beat him up a little?" I asked, laughing a little to show how ridiculous the idea was.

He raised his knife. "Of course, with these." I laughed a little, though my mouth was suddenly dry. Wilson stepped closer to me, standing on tiptoe to stand face-to-face. "If you don't wanna see it, then I suggest you go back inside." The grin on his face was absolutely diabolical (Did I spell that right? A fancy word there.)

I was so shocked and... okay, I'll admit it, scared that I didn't hear what the others were saying till Daniel shouted, "Come on then! Let's not waste any more time!"

With that, he and Wilson and Rose, the two girls, and Ludwig and Izzy ran back down the hill, in the direction Pete had fled. Alex, Fawkes, Alan, Enkidu, and I remained where we were. I wondered if we would chase after them or not, but everyone seemed hesitant to. Not that I blame them!

It was ever loyal Alex who finally turned to us and said, "I'm sorry, but I can't just stand here and do nothing!" He turned and ran after the others. I looked to see what everyone else would do. I was more than happy to help out Pete, but a confrontation that includes fighting was not among my long list of skills. Fawkes looked at us and said, "I might not be your leader, or friend, but I say we follow Alex!"
So in a rather funny way, all of us began chasing after Peter.