Chapter Twenty-Four: What You Sow is What You Reap

Peter Morris

I sat with Alex and Ludwig. Menelik and Enkidu were nearby, but they were having their own conversation. Across from me were Ronny, Wilson, and Amy. They seemed to be having a good time, laughing every now and then.

"So what you think of our latest additions?" Ludwig asked Alex. I listened intently for the reply.

"I don't know. The girl—"

"Amy," I instantly said, but Alex continued.

"—seems nice. A little shy, but sweet." I suddenly thought of three words that fit Amy perfectly: small, shy, sweet.

"Like my pet rabbit," Ludwig mumbled.

"And Wilson, I don't trust him. Not yet anyway," Alex finished.

"Yeah, he doesn't seem all that happy," Ludwig commented, and we turned to look at Wilson, who was laughing hysterically at some joke Ronny said.

"Wilson may be harder to win over," I reflected, remembering his intense dislike for me, "But we can count on Amy to help us with that."

"They a couple or something?" Ludwig asked. I shrugged.

"They hang out a lot, but I don't know," I answered. They probably are, I thought to myself, remembering all the times I had seen Wilson wrap his arm around her.

"Cute couple," Alex commented.

"Oh come on Peter!" Ronny exclaimed, "It would be cool, fun, awesome!"

"And it would be dangerous, perilous, and irresponsible on my part," I replied. Although I found Ronny annoying sometimes (especially at that moment) I was beginning to have a new fondness for him. He seemed to be the only one who remembered that it had been I who had been elected as leader, not Alex. Menelik, Enkidu, and even Ludwig treated Alex as their leader, whereas they treated me as though I had just got out of a lunatic asylum. 

"Irresponsible my butt," Ronny scoffed, "What's so bad 'bout exploring the center of the island? Who knows what we might find on top of those mountains...maybe we'll be able to see another island or something from up there, or the place where The People live."

"Or maybe we will find The People and they'll turn out to be a bunch of psychotic humans and turn cannibal on us and eat us alive. Or maybe, if we're lucky, we'll fall off a cliff, break our neck, and die immediately," I retorted. Ronny frowned.

"Well when you put it like that then, yeah, it seems bad," Ronny replied, "But I seriously doubt The People are cannibals. Maybe psychotic, but not cannibals. Besides, we can find food, water, and all sorts of goodies if we just go a tiny, little bit deeper into the island, instead of just staying here on the beach. And what's up with you? Suddenly you're all protective, like my sis." I didn't say anything for a moment.

"Nothing, I just don't want anyone to get hurt or—or die," I answered. I remembered Mahal, and realized (somewhat sadly) how little he had been missed. Did he even get a funeral? Why hadn't I asked Fawkes about it, or at least asked where they had buried him? Did they even bury him?

As though he was thinking the same thing, Ronny said, "I think Fawkes and them buried Mahal in the woods behind their...house, or whatever that motel is called."

"Why you think that?" I asked.

"I saw a mound of dirt with a wooden plank-thing above it that said, 'Mahal'," Ronny answered. I gave him a look and he smirked. "So are we just gonna walk home tomorrow, with no side stops?"

"Yes," I replied, "The sooner we get there the better."

"Why? Ya think Fawkes is gonna come after us?"

"Maybe, I don't know. He seems to be pretty reasonable to me, so he might decide to just stay at his place. Then again, we did attack him and his gang, and he didn't have much of a challenge defeating us last time when they kidnapped me."

"Yeah, well, we'll be better prepared next time. Especially with those weapons you guys took." I winced; I didn't like being reminded that we had stolen from Fawkes. And I certainly did not like the thought of Fawkes (not to mention Daniel) returning.

"Well," Ronny yawned, "I think it's 'bout time to hit the sack. Night Mr. Morris." Ronny snuggled up beside the base of a tree, using some large leaves from a plant as a blanket and a crook in the tree's roots as a pillow.

I watched my sleeping companion for a moment before I heard Wilson whispering, "Ronny? Ronny?"

"He's sleeping," I told Wilson. He glared at me, than looked away. "You want something?"

"No," Wilson retorted. Amy was curled up beside him, with her back against him, and I saw him look at her.

"Look, I don't know why you hate me, but I think you should put it behind you," I told Wilson, who snorted.

"Whatever," Wilson said back, "You know why I hate you."

"Cuz I gave you a black eye?"

"No!"

"Then what?" He didn't answer. "Well, can you at least pretend to be nice to me? For Amy's sake."

"You stay away from her," Wilson suddenly snapped. I backed up into the tree behind me, even though I was a couple of meters away from Wilson. Even then I felt too close for comfort.

"I'm not trying to steal her from you," I replied, "I think she just feels safer when she's with me." Wilson practically growled when there was a loud yawn.

"Who's still up?" Ludwig asked tiredly.

"Me—Peter—and Wilson," I answered, "We'll go to bed now though."

"Good, cuz it's like midnight," Ludwig replied and dropped has head back down. "Night."

"Goodnight," I said. I saw Wilson settle down for sleep and get myself into a (somewhat) comfortable position.

"Goodnight Wilson, I hope you really think about what I said," I told him. 

"Oh I will," he retorted.