Chapter Nine: Dirty One's Hands

George Fawkes

Alan started shaking like a leaf and even I felt guilty. The word "foreboding" filled my head, but I couldn't remember what the word meant. Something bad apparently.

"Wh-what we do?" Wilson asked, rubbing his neck where just moments before Mahal's hands have been.

"Take him back to the house," I said. Wilson nodded and bent down to lift Mahal up, but he wasn't strong enough. I sighed. Sometimes, I really did not like being the strong one in the group. It could be such a pain.

I pushed Wilson aside and picked up Mahal, and than started walking back to the warehouse building.

"Wilson! Are you okay?" Curls exclaimed as she ran past me to her friend.

"Yeah, Mahal almost killed me, but I'm okay," I heard Wilson say, in a sarcastic tone. Usually (not at the moment) those two were very close and acted like the best of friends (or potential lovers). They were the envy of the entire gang, even if no one showed it. When we all arrived on the island, no one knew anyone. Yet, since day one, Wilson and Curls had been best friends. They were happy all the time, and out of the whole group, they had the best time. What was there to not envy?

"Wow, what you do? Kill him?" Daniel asked as we reached the building. He meant it as a joke, but the look of pure horror on Alan's face said otherwise. "He is unconscious ... right?" I shook my head. Daniel looked at me accusingly, but I nodded toward Alan.

"Alan, you did this?" Daniel asked in obvious shock. Of course. Everyone thought I was the bad guy. And okay, I was a little intimidating. But killing someone? I don't even like to fight (as oppose to what the others think), let alone kill someone.

"I...I..." Alan couldn't even say the words as I lied Mahal down on the floor. I heard Rose start to cry uncontrollably from the corner of the room. For all her crying, I actually kinda liked her. She was incredibly hot and yet wasn't a sappy little flower like Marie. And (I noticed) she was one of those people who could cry without ruining her facial beauty. Still, I didn't like seeing her cry...

I suddenly got very upset and I could feel my face and neck reddening, as they did whenever I got really mad. This is Alan's fault, I thought to myself, he's the one who killed Mahal. Without a second thought, I gave Alan one hard punch to the face.

"You idiot!" I shouted. Alan's hands flew up to his face, where blood had begun to pour from his nose. I raised my fist to punch him again, but Wilson and Daniel held me back. If I had used all my strength, not even the two of them would have been able to contain me. But I decided enough was enough, and shook them off instead.

"Aaahh!" Marie suddenly screamed. Her voice was so high-pitch I thought my ears would start bleeding.

"What's going on?" Melody asked, frowning. The two had just now decided to leave their rooms to see what was going on. No one answered Melody, and her question only infuriated me more.

"I didn't mean to! I didn't mean to!" Alan whined repeatedly.

"He's right Fawkes," Wilson said to me, "Mahal was choking me. He was just trying to help." I didn't say anything. I was tired, upset, and just needed a break from all the drama. I wanted to go to my room and go to sleep, but I was not sure I wanted to leave the others alone. So, instead, I just went and sat down a few feet away from Rose, and leaned my head against the wall, eyes closed.

"Dude," I heard Daniel said, "You're in big trouble." If he was talking about Alan, than he sure was right.

"I didn't mean to! I didn't mean to!" Alan kept repeating. He sounded like a broken record, a should-be-turn-off broken record. I opened one eye for a moment and looked at Alan. He was a pitiful sight, with blood dripping from his nose onto his t-shirt, cowering with large, watery eyes. He looked like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown.

"We know, we know," Wilson said reassuringly, though there was a hint of annoyance in his voice, "Just stay out of Fawkes' way for a while." He whispered that last part, though I heard it plainly.

"Why did you kill him in the first place?" Daniel asked. If I knew him as well as I thought I did, than he was just trying to make Alan feel worse.

"I didn't mean to!" Alan practically shouted. Then, he ran off to the apartment. Within moments we heard the slamming of a door as Alan hid in his room.

"It wasn't his fault," Wilson said, "Mahal was choking me, and Alan was just trying to get him to stop."

"Well, he got him to stop," Daniel slid his finger across his neck, "for good!"

"This isn't funny Dan," Wilson said menacingly, "Someone just died and you're making jokes."

"Just trying to lighten up the mood," Daniel said back, "It wasn't like he was one of us, he could've been running off to tell his boss where we are so that they can come at night and kill us."

"You don't know that!" Wilson said. Daniel rolled his eyes, and then they settled on Rose.

"Then let us find out," Daniel said to Wilson as he walked right over to Rose. I got up immediately and looked hard at Daniel.

"Oh sorry," Daniel said sarcastically, "Did you want to do the honors Fawkes?" I didn't say anything and bent down beside Rose.

"How 'bout it Roses?" I asked. She probably thought I was being a jerk, but I actually liked calling her that. "Who sent you here?"

"No one," Rose said quietly.

"Then why were you on the beach?"

"I-I walk there..."

"Why?"

"I got upset at...Pete." My eyes lightened up.

"And who's Pete?"

"Our leader." Bingo.