Chapter Seventeen: Didn't Bite the Hand that Feeds You

Peter Morris

I sat, my head against the hard, cold wall, staring blankly up at the ceiling. I have to get out of here, I told myself for the billionth time. And (again for the billionth time) no ideas came to my head as to how to achieve that.

I had been given my own room, just as Fawkes had promised. And I was still a hostage, just as Fawkes had promised. We had arrived at Fawkes' domain sometime during the middle of the night, and now the sun was shining bright up in the sky. My first thought once I had been put into my room was to break through the window. Unfortunately, the window was just too firmly latched, and my arm muscles weren't quite strong enough to open it. Enkidu could probably open it, maybe even Fawkes, but other than them I doubted there was anyone on the island who could.

My only visitor was Daniel, and he was even worse than Fawkes. Daniel didn't need to be a reason to hit or punch, he just did as he pleased. That and he was just a plain out jerk.

"Time for dinner Pete," Daniel smirked as he opened the door, and promptly dropped the opened can of fruit and cup of water onto the floor. I tried to not show how annoyed and irritated I was. I looked at the mess beneath Daniel. He had done the same with my breakfast and lunch. Truthfully, I was surprised how generous Fawkes was, providing me with three meals a day. Even though I didn't really know him, from the moment I first saw him I had the feeling he was a bad boy. Just something about him made him distinct and, well, bad. Apparently, though, Fawkes wasn't as bad as I had thought he was.

"Come on Big-Nose: EAT," Daniel said in a daring tone. It made me wonder if he had poisoned my food.

"You don't know how lucky you are huh?" Daniel asked me, "Most prisoners don't get this kind of hospitality. I mean, it's not like you deserve it." I looked up sharply at Daniel, who merely smirked. "You know you don't. You couldn't protect your own friend, even if their life depended on it! You're weak, pitiful, useless...no wonder Rose didn't want you." That was the last straw. I lunged at Daniel, managing to knock him down onto the messy floor. That was as far as I got though, for Daniel's strength and (I bet) experience exceeded my own, and Daniel quickly had me pinned down, hands behind my back and face against the cold floor.

"Never try that again," Daniel warned me in a cold undertone, "Cuz next time I won't go so easy with you." Daniel got off and walked out the door, slamming it shut.

Eventually, I got to my knees, my shirt dirty with spilt water and squashed fruit and my pride wounded. My only consolation was that Daniel wasn't gonna watch me as I picked up the squashed pieces of fruit off the floor and ate them. That would've all but destroyed any pride I had left.

Even though I ate every bit of food off that floor (and even licked up some of the water), I wasn't hungry. But I didn't know how long Fawkes' generosity would last, so that was my last meal for all I knew. And I was going to need all the strength and energy I could get.

For the rest of the day, I remained in my prison cell. I didn't get any dessert, but I was fine with that, since it meant no visit from Daniel. The only times I had been taken out of my room was to use the restroom, and that was rather awkward since Alan (the name of the plain boy who was mostly quiet) had to wait right outside the bathroom door till I was done.

I paced like an anxious animal in a cage. I felt like an animal in a cage.

I hope Ludwig and Menelik were okay. And Alex, I thought to myself to pass the time. Did Ronny fight? I don't think he did...I don't know what happened to Rose either. She's not here; I don't think she is anyway.

How could she have done this to ME?! My mind was reeling. Why? WHY?! I've never done her any harm. I love her! How could she do this? Why did she lead Fawkes and Daniel to me if they had been planning on kidnapping me? What went on here while she was with them? Did they brainwash her or something? They must have, she wouldn't have allowed this to happen to me otherwise...right? Can Izzy have been right? Can it be that Rose doesn't like me? Is that why she led Fawkes and his gang to me, and allowed me to be taken here?