• 05 •

EVA

EVA

"What did I do to you? " Zoe started. "Besides putting up with your unprecedented existence in my life, that is. "

I didn't know what to say. She was obviously in a very bad mood, worse than I had ever seen her in. I couldn't tell by her face, no, one could never tell her emotions from it, rather, it was the liquid fire emanating in waves from her narrowed eyes that did.

"It's your first day of schooling here, Eva. But you just couldn't wait even for a little while, could you? "

It resonated somewhere at the back of my mind that this was the first time she was actually calling my name.

"What exactly was your plan anyway? " she shifted her weight from one foot onto the other, "That you'd get some huge dirt on me and then tell mom and dad about it? "

Her fury escalated with each word, as did my heart beat.

"I hate to break it to you but mom and dad couldn't hate me any more than they already do, so, congratulations, your efforts are officially wasted. " she sneered, "Go spy on someone else, preferably someone who would actually want their business aired. "

"I-"

"Nothing, " she cut me off, slashing her hand through the air to emphasize her word, "Nothing you have to say matters anymore. Just, please, stay the hell away from me. "

At first, it felt like I had imagined the whole thing, but as seconds rolled by into minutes, I began to absorb the full meaning of what had just happened.

My complicated relationship with Zoe was now, totally ruined.

She was most likely going to tell Abi and her parents that she had caught me eavesdropping on her.

I lived with those people.

I was screwed.

I trudged into the library, walking far inside to where the books were neatly arranged on the shelves. Guessing, I would say they were sorted by genre, but who knew?

I trailed my fingertips along the books surfaces, not really paying attention to the name, as I moved from one shelve to another. Calm surrounded me, swiftly and completely, pushing all my fears into the shadows.

This. This feeling right here, of serenity, that books gave to me, was priceless. Just being in the mere presence of them soothed something deep down in me that I couldn't quite describe.

"Books or people? " a voice interrupted my thoughts, and I answered before thinking.

"Books. "

"Smart. "

It was a feminine voice. Sure and loud in the otherwise silent room.

"Horror or romance? "

"Romance. " I answered again.