• 12 •

EVA

                                   EVA.
Where are you?

The text from Axel popped into my phone and I didn't even pretend to ignore it.

At home. Why?

We're supposed to pick Omar up. Did you forget?

Oh.

I have to remind you that we're picking your best friend up today? Really, Eva? I thought he was the one that got drunk.

I narrowed my eyes at the screen. So he was back to his usual infuriating self. I should have known that the last night version of him wouldn't last long.

I thought I was going alone.

When he'd said 'we' yesterday, I hadn't thought he meant it literally. I was shocked he was even helping at all.

You thought wrong.

The bubbles showed that he was still typing. In curiosity, I clicked on his profile. He had one new post. He was dressed as he had to the party so he'd definitely taken the pictures last night but the house in the background was different. Maybe he'd snapped them at his house.

I squinted, pinching on the picture, trying to zoom in so I could see the house clearly, but it was all blurry. I gave up, going back to our chat to reply his message.

When are we going?

I noticed how he put the 'we'. I'd never met a more relentless person. He could be quite unstoppable when he wanted to have his way.

I was thinking maybe an hour or two from now.

Okay, I was lying. That was what I told myself an hour ago when we came back from service. The truth was, I dreaded ordering a ride to the hotel. I'd entered the app several times and exited again, unable to make up my mind. Sitting in a car alone with someone I didn't know would be so uncomfortable for me to bear. And what if they decided to strike up conversation? Dear God.

Maybe Axel going with me wasn't really a bad idea.

Why? Are you busy now?

His quick replies baffled me. Was he truly that jobless? I barely pressed send on the texts before he replied back. It was like he gave all his attention to me when we texted. But just as easily, he could also be like that with everyone else he chatted with. Right.