• 11 •

EVA
His warm, brown eyes darted between mine in surprise, roving over my body and then climbing back up to ogle my face. "It's really you? "

He couldn't believe I was here. The feeling was mutual.

I nodded, my throat clogged with emotions. The need to blink was strong, but I fought it because I feared that if I did, he would disappear.

His brows dove down. "You look different. "

His words seemed to slur slightly. And now that I took note of it, my surprise on seeing him was quickly replaced by worry.

I ignored his comment, wanting to ask him if he was okay instead, but before I could get the words out, he lunged at me and engulfed me in a tight hug. Almost immediately, my hands came up to wrap around him. I'd missed him. I closed my eyes, inhaling his familiar scent......... but it was all wrong. He smelled of beer and a cologne too strong to be associated with him.

A minute went by, then two, three, four and just when I started to think he had fallen asleep on me, he pulled away abruptly, staring at me with an odd look.

I frowned. "What—"

Omar threw up directly in front of me, missing my heels by mere centimeters.

I gaped.

People standing near us shifted, yelling at us to take our 'drunkenness' outside. How rich that was, coming from equally drunk people. I think some of the vomit must have splashed on a girl who had been dancing beside him because she glared at us for a long minute before storming off. Thankfully, she wasn't an Ivacy High student.

"Omar! " I whisper yelled.

He lifted his index finger in a 'one-moment' gesture, then braced his hands on his knees, and proceeded to empty the remaining contents of his stomach on the floor, earning more glares from people.

What was the possibility of the ground opening up and swallowing me right now?

I wanted to walk away, but at the same time, I couldn't leave him. I couldn't even if I wanted to and definitely not like this.

I took a step back —because the vomit was starting to spread, and glanced around warily.

"Uh.... What happened between now and five minutes ago? "

Axel!

I spun around sharply at the sound of his voice, my shoulders sagging with relief. I couldn't deal with the mess that was Omar alone right now.

"Thank God you're here. " I placed my hand on his chest without giving much thought to what I was doing. "I need your help. "

His eyes flared as he gazed from me to Omar. Back, forth, back, forth, as if he couldn't decide on who he wanted to look at. Eventually, when his eyes must have started to cross, he gave up and fixed me with a questioning glance, his left brow cocked.

Holding two bottles of drinks in his hands, standing a head taller than a considerable number of people in the crowd, with a sexy scowl etched on his face, I believed that it was understandable —and yes, quite shameful— why I felt moderately flattered that I was the one he was standing with, even with prettier girls that were more his style here, tonight.