• 10 •

Up in the media box is Laura's outfit for the party

Up in the media box is Laura's outfit for the party. Our girl is hot!
I cropped her face on purpose, y'all don't get to see her so soon :)
Please, leave a vote if you're enjoying the story!

EVA

Therefore I Am by Billie Eillish flowed softly from the Bluetooth speakers, giving the room a somewhat chill and badass vibe as Laura took care of my makeup.

When I'd first rejected her offer to apply my makeup, insisting that I didn't need one, she had given me a look of disappointment saying, "Your gown deserves better than the treatment you're giving it, Eva. ". I'd rolled my eyes, telling her that I hadn't wanted to wear the gown in the first place but then I'd stared at the gown, then at my face in the mirror, and I had silently gone and sat on the chair by my dresser, watching as she readied her tools with a satisfied nod.

I mean, no one said I wasn't pretty, but my untouched face was way too undeserving of the gown. That, I knew.

The gown —my gown, was a masterpiece. It would be considered simple to most, underrated even, but it was more to me, much much more. I hadn't worn a gown like that before. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I'd worn a gown, period. So taking a step like this and wearing such a figure hugging gown, was a huge one for me. Not that I'd had any other choice but to wear it as Laura had picked it out and laid it out on my bed. There was no arguing with her.

She was good at what she did. The look of concentration on her face, the expert strokes of her brush, the careful selecting of the shades she used, all told me she knew what she was doing. I realized that I wasn't the least bit worried about the outcome.

"You're taking all this pretty well, " Laura noted, "For someone who's never been to a party before. "

I shrugged. "My fate is sealed. There's really nothing I can do. "

The brush stopped moving on my face. "Am I really the only reason you're going? "

My mind briefly wandered to Axel.

"Aren't you curious, even if a little, as to how these things go? " she pressed.

"I've never thought about it before. " I have. "But I guess going once wouldn't hurt. "

She gave me a look, before continuing with my make-up. They —Abi and Laura, believed, for all the world, that I was only going to the party because Laura had persuaded me into tagging along with her. Neither of them knew that Axel was one of the major forces that influenced my decision.

"You're driving right? "

I blinked. "No, I'm not. We're going together, isn't that what you said? "

"Uh.... When I said together, I didn't mean together together. "

"What's wrong with the both of us going together? "