57. The Curse of Love

Author's Notes: I had a question for all my readers.

I sometimes insert thoughts or dreams/visions or past experiences of my characters in italics within the text. Are they easily understandable? Like in the last chapter, there was a lot of transition between past, present, memories, and the thoughts of others that Seydon was reading.

Please drop me a comment here if you find them confusing, and I will try to be careful next time.

I don't wanna use complex vocabulary and sentences. I simply want to put out a good story that everyone can enjoy. Sometimes an author tries to write what they are visualising, but not everyone can perceive the same because of incoherent text. Don't hesitate to point that out for me! Thank you so much!

Kaidon

"What are the two of you doing here this late at night?"

Fuck! Caught within the first five minutes of the mission?

We flipped around in sync to come face to face with my father. He stood there with a bored-looking expression on his face, his hands settled on his waist and his body naked on the top half. His hair were dishevelled, and his eyes told me that he just woke up.

Something hit me hard on the back of my head, followed by an angry growl by Alex, "So much for your infiltration plan, genius!"

The apple he hit me with rolled down to Dad's feet. He picked it up and then turned his back to us. "Follow me."

Alex gave me a questioning look, and I shrugged. With an annoyed expression plastered on his face, he picked up another fruit from the foot of the apple tree he was hiding behind and flung it in my direction, and I barely dodged it. He had every right to be irritated. I honestly had no clue how we got caught this early.

He joined me as both of us fell on foot behind my father. We glanced around, and the manor looked empty, making me wonder if he really did already know that we were coming.

The house was eerily similar to Seydon's. I stayed here for a brief period of time before moving to my own place with my caretaker. Seydon joined the household a few weeks before I did. He was an unusually silent child back then. In the brief period that we stayed together in this house, I never once saw him step outside his room on the far right corner of the ground floor. I glanced in that direction, feeling the nostalgia of the memories rushing in. I would often stand outside his door, waiting for him to open. We became closer only after both of us moved out of this house. Later I joined the school and met Alice. That was probably when I finally got rid of my loneliness.

We climbed up the circular stairs after him as he made his way to the study room.

"Thank the heavens that your grandfather isn't here, you dimwits." I heard him mutter. That was probably the first time I heard him cursing.

The door to the study room opened with a click, and he switched on the lights. While we curiously glanced around the room, he reached for a shirt of his lying on the couch and pulled it on.

"Someone's got a better body than his son, eh eh?" Alex teased me, elbowing me.

"Since when do you know what kinda body I got, huh, peeper?" My eyes twinkled with mischief, and he made a face at me.