64. Double-edged Swords

Ariel

We are the protagonists of our stories. Our lives revolve around us as the central figure. The person I like would be the other protagonist, while the one I hate would become the villain. But what about those who aren't part of our story? Those who are merely background characters probably never even showing their face to us, were they just born to be a support? Or were they the protagonists of their own stories? Where I might be just a background character? Or perhaps even the villain where my choice in my story affected their life in their story?

This is a world made up of countless tales written in parallel with a myriad of genres and identities. Some characters may cross paths, while others may meet their ends without even learning about the existence of another. However, one truth connects us all; our life is equally inconsequential to them as theirs is to us.

"I am sorry; I went overboard." He gently whispered to me as he stroked my hair while I clung to his chest, crying my eyes out. Somehow those few words of his seemed to comfort me the most against all the reassurance others gave me back at home.

I couldn't remember how I reached home last night. Griffin, Alex and Rihanna were waiting for me there, but I hardly noticed their presence. My thoughts were filled with just the name of the man who died that day. I knew what I had signed up for; I was aware I'd be required to make tough calls on the battlefield.

Yet, something came over me that day. My hands shook at the thought of holding a person's life in the balance. What my principles failed to show me was that there was another life hanging on the other end. Only when he fell to the ground did I realise the consequences of the choice I made. It didn't just cost that man his life; even his daughter had to pay the price.

I was awake all night thinking about that child. I couldn't help putting myself in her shoes. Somehow the pain was relatable. It was like being plunged into the depths of darkness with no light to guide you back to the surface. Just the thought of it made my insides turn; I couldn't even begin to imagine what the girl was going through. I felt guilty for feeling relieved about my parents being alive.

I barely saw Kaidon's back that day. The cold it emanated froze me to my core. The way his hand with his gun dangled down in disappointment, I feared looking him in the eyes. I had let him down. I hesitated and caused him to lose a teammate. I didn't know when it happened, but he had become one person I couldn't bear to lose the trust of. I felt like I had proved him right. That I was weak and needed to be taken care of.

No, I couldn't. I didn't want to let him down ever again. I joined here of my own will, and I needed to step up to that responsibility or quit. It would be challenging, but I strengthened my resolve to become a reliable person—someone to who her friends would entrust their backs.

"You... You were never instructed in the academy, were you?" He broke the silence after what felt like aeons later.

I shook my head to respond. I still couldn't find words in my throat.

"How did you come to join us then?"

I was surprised he wasn't aware of the arrangement. The Fords and Crosses hadn't seen eye to eye in a long time. When the academy was established, the Fords refused to give up their arts. As a result, they continued to be home-trained and were directly recruited into the order. Periodically a high ranking Ford used to be sent along with the batch as a representative.

"I am- I am kind of like an ambassador."

He gave me a look filled with confusion, to which I explained, "In the olden times, the weaker kingdoms used to send one of their children to the stronger kingdom to be kept as a hostage to avoid wars."