50. Under Influence

Ariel

"I welcome the Ford Princess to my lair."

I caught one of the attackers in a headlock and twisted his neck. Two hands each grabbed my arms, and another guy tried to hurl at me, but I propelled myself forward and crushed my high heels into his eyes, blinding him.

"Don't be scared, beautiful. I wouldn't lay a hand on the woman my son likes. But I don't want to get caught, yet."

I shook my hands vigorously to free myself from their grip. My eyes caught hold of the knives on their belts. I managed to grab the hilts, pull them out and injure arms. Their grip loosened, and I jammed my elbow onto the jaw of the one on my right and with a roundabout kick knocked out the other guy on my left.

"As a daughter of the Fords, don't forget that the Crosses are your mortal enemies."

I tore the length of my dress below the knee and then pulled out the gun tucked on my lap.

Aim.

Shoot.

No! Don't kill them!

I pressed on the trigger and shot three men between the eyes.

Ariel, you don't kill people!

I caught sight of a grenade dangling down the belt of one man as he hurled at me. I ducked when he tried to stab me and then punched him in the gut and pulled out the grenade. I drew the pin and threw the bomb at the main door which was blocked by two other armed guards. A loud bang reverberated, followed by flames that engulfed the entry and the hallway.

I picked up the blades and emerged out of the fire, my eyes locked on my opponent.

Kaidon Cross.

No. He is not your enemy.

He stood there with his arm wrapped around his mouth and nose to block the smoke. His gaze dropped on me, and his eyes widened.

"Ariel... Thank God-"

I charged at him with the knife, and he jumped back, the blade barely slashing through his jacket.

"What the-"

I leapt forward, the tip of my blade aimed at his throat, and he ducked and then blocked my other hand that tried to attack. I lunged forth, not breaking my eye contact with him and storming him with a flurry of attacks. He dodged and blocked each one of them, but I made him step back and back until he decided to strike. He caught my right hand, turned me around and twisted it behind my back and then shoved me face forward towards the wall. I groaned in pain and tried to move my other hand, but he locked my wrist in his grip.

"Drop your weapon."

Reluctantly, against my will, I let go of the knives, which was when he turned me around to face him, my hands still in his grip on either side of me. He leaned in to stare into my eyes, his face dangerously close to mine.

"Gilaan..." he mumbled with a frown plastered across his face.

I acted without a thought. I raised my feet and jabbed my knee to his gut, and his grasp loosened. I pushed him backwards, which made him fall on the ground, and then I climbed atop his body with another knife and prepared myself to stab him.