81. Just the Two of Us

Ariel

Recap: Ariel remembered who she was and learned that it was her mother's spirit being held in Riannon as a vessel that orchestrated most of the events and protected her in the end. She decided to keep that a secret from Kai, and everyone continued to find the truth behind the Order's operations. Kaidon when celebrating Ariel's birthday with her, managed to find out the truth of her identity.

***

"Mom!"

"What's the matter, Ariel? Calm down. Tell me what happened?"

My eyes flickered towards the main door that just flung open. Sey and Alex stomped in. I stared at them, and all they could do was shake their heads in denial.

"Mom, did Kai say anything about where he was headed?" I tried hard to mask the distress in my voice, but I couldn't. He had disconnected abruptly. Initially, I thought it was a network error, but I couldn't get through to him again. We waited a few hours, but neither did he contact us nor return. The phone was switched off. His location couldn't be tracked, and Sey and Alex had just returned after making a trip to his office, and he wasn't there either.

"I- Is he not home yet?"

I shook my head, barely able to get any words out. I dreaded this all along. Someone had wanted him dead for a while.

What if he was ambushed? What if Gilaan took an opportunity to strike? I... I-

"Ariel, I am sure he is alright." I heard my mom's reassuring voice. "Don't panic. It's barely been a few hours since he left. Perhaps he got caught up somewhere. I'll request your dad to ask around, okay? Do you want to come home, sweetie?"

Even though I knew she wasn't my mother, her words still carried the uncanny ability to calm my nerves. I hadn't realised I had somehow slid down on the floor already, my fingers clutching onto the fabric of the couch.

I lifted my head up to stare at Rihanna, hoping she had some news to offer. She had taken the initiative to ask around the hospitals. I felt a sinking feeling inside when she shook her head as well.

"I-I'll be there, Mom."

We split up and decided to look for him through various sources. While Rihanna continued to inquire around the hospitals, Alex was working closely with the team at the Order, and Sey took the onus to reach out to their underground network. I, meanwhile, decided to go back home and ask for help from my family.

I was hoping we had nothing to worry about, but something felt ominous about all this.

I tossed the money to the driver on the front seat and sprinted out of the cab without bothering to collect the change. It was late at night, but my mother was already out in the front yard, pacing about, waiting to welcome me.

Her steps hurried towards me as she noticed me, and her arms opened wide to embrace me. I clung on to her tight, letting her body heat surround me. She gently caressed my back while my breathing slowed down gradually.

"Your grandpa is asleep already. Thankfully, your dad had a guest, and he was awake. I have explained it to him already, and he is on it. Don't worry, kiddo. We'll find him."

It would be hard for her to understand the gravity of the situation because she had no clue about the kind of life we led and the dangerous path we tread every single day. Our identities were protected, but it wasn't beyond someone with the right resources to find us. Kai was the next head-to-be of the Order, giving us all the more reason to be worried.