74. To Foam

Author's Notes : So this is just for market research purpose xD If you are reading this, can you tell me who do you like better in the story? Kai or Sey? Or if someone else? And why?

Kaidon

"What is the meaning of this, Lancelot?" Archon barked as his eyes darted around to garner in his surroundings. Masked men dressed in black had us all surrounded on the academy grounds as they pointed their knives to the throats of the few instructors and students who were training outside.

Lancelot Ford stepped inside the circle, followed by his son and grandson and a few other men. They were armed with their swords hanging around their waists, their looks screaming that they wouldn't hesitate to pull them out to slit our throats.

"I am here to warn you." He answered, his voice grim with the rage burning within his body. It wasn't hard to deduce what they were here for. I had just rescued Ariel. An entire facility of the Order was burned down to ashes, and it was no secret that Grandfather approved the experimentation on Ariel.

I had no time to see him earlier. Once she was safe, I immediately marched out to confront him. He was on the academy grounds, and just when I had barely managed to corner him, we were ambushed by the Fords.

"Lancelot, the academy has always been a neutral ground. Whatever grudges you hold should be settled outside this place."

"I can't believe you are siding with him, Archon. The man killed your sister."

My neck swivelled in his direction, my eyes trying to gauge his reaction. Archon and my grandfather had been close allies for the last few decades. He trusted him with all the sensitive tasks while Archon stood beside him, unyielding to any outside forces. Lancelot's words made little sense to me.

"I am doing what the world needs." He replied, his voice not fazed in the least.

Lancelot's fingers gripped around the hilt of his sword as he pulled the blade out and pointed the tip towards grandfather.

"You tortured my granddaughter. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't cut down your head right this instant."

"You attacked the heir. The offence cannot go unpunished." Archon was quick to respond. Grandfather stayed silent through the exchange. I barely had any context of the conversation. Honestly, it didn't much matter to me, but even if I weren't on good terms with my family, I had realised over time that it was pointless to rely on outsiders. I should never have trusted the Fords.

"Mind your tongue, Archon. You have no proof to corroborate that accusation. You dishonoured our treaty. I have every right to slit your throat."

"Lance-"

Grandfather raised his hand up, silencing the man. Taking a step forward, he said, "I would like to see you try, Lancelot."

His voice was pure ice, his face devoid of any emotion. He felt neither guilt nor remorse at having pulled in an innocent woman in the middle of the blood war. I found the answer I had come here for. The man was an insensitive monster. The only thing that mattered to him was politics and the power play. We had command over the Fords with their granddaughter as the hostage, and he wouldn't hesitate to make her suffer for the sins of her family.