73. Labyrinth

Ariel

"This world needs fixing."

Who was that?

When the darkness lifted off my vision, I found myself in a glass maze. There were mirrors for walls, and all I could see for miles ahead was my own image reflected in them.

"This world is tainted."

A strange female voice echoed throughout the vast space as I hurried ahead, looking for a way out.

Who the hell is it?

My eyes darted back and forth, and my neck swivelled in all directions, searching for the source of the voice. I wasn't a claustrophobic person, but the place made me anxious. I felt overwhelmed by the thousands of images staring back at me. They didn't seem to be mimicking my motion anymore. It was as if they had a will of their own as their expressions changed. Some laughed while others cried a flurry of tears. I was surrounded by an infinite number of images displaying a variety of emotions and feelings, and my head started spinning as I kept staring at them. I screamed, letting the tears drip down my eyes.

"Stop-stop it!" I yelled at my reflections, unsure if anyone was even listening.

"This world needs judgement."

The unknown voice echoed louder as it kept repeating its statements. I crouched down on the floor, my arms around my head, fighting off the impending migraine.

My thoughts were incoherent, and it became more challenging to make sense of anything happening around me. The line between reality and dream blurred, and I couldn't remember who I was or what had happened to me. Only the unknown voice and the sound of my own emotions being reflected kept me company in that strange place.

When I'd had enough, my forearms hit the floor in an effort to escape. Everything inside my body ached, but I wanted to escape the pain, the suffering. I struck again and again, begging to be let out of the maze, and when my first teardrop hit the ground, I heard it crack. A moment later, everything shattered around me, and I found myself falling through an endless abyss.

My eyes snapped open. I tried to move my hand, but it seemed to be locked in place.

"The subject is awake."

"Vitals unstable. Draw a sample for testing."

"Prepare to send her back inside the Labyrinth."

As my vision cleared, I saw people in lab coats strutting about. One face appeared in my gaze before that person flashed a torch in my eyes, and I squeezed them shut in response. I could feel my body perspiring. Every joint in my body screamed in discomfort. My breathing escalated, and something trickled down my eyes, and I wasn't sure if it was tears or blood. I was in an unknown place, surrounded by strangers, and I couldn't remember what had happened.

"Initiating the Labyrinth program in three, two-"

No! Not that maze again! I can't -

I didn't hear the countdown finish as the sound of a deafening explosion took me by surprise. I couldn't lift my head to watch what was happening, but the panicked voices of the people around told me that there were intruders. The sound of gunshots alarmed me, and I struggled to free myself from my restraints. I needed to flee before-

"Ariel!"

That- that voice.

All strength escaped my body at the sound of that single word. The familiar voice that called out my name. Relief replaced the panic coursing through my veins as the unshed tears flowed down my eyes.