42. Turned Tables

Seydon

When people talked about love and how it was the strongest emotion out there, it made me laugh hysterically. No, love is just an attachment you develop for people you spend enough time with. You say you love your family, but did you choose them? You didn't. Yet you end up with those emotions because you spend enough time with them to get attached. And you can always fall out of love, because love is just a fickle emotion.

Fear. That is what truly is a faithful and committed emotion, which I had the fortune of learning very early in my life. You don't let go of your fears. You just learn to live with them. It occupies a space in your heart and body for the rest of your life. Fear is your biggest weakness and it will always be.

For me, this weakness of other's was in turn a strength. My power always allowed me to scroll through people's minds, to take a glimpse at their deepest and darkest fears and then word it out to them, and then watch their expression twist into an ugly, frightened one. It was the greatest joy of my life.

And I guess this was my punishment. Not just one, but both the terrifying emotions mixed up for me, to create my greatest weakness ever. For the first time in my life I learned how torturing, the two can be when they get entangled. Love, for a certain someone, and the fear of losing her.

"Ariel!" I growled at the top of my voice as I let out a long breath because I ran to her as soon as I was done.

My men had captured Lombardi and were preparing to transport him back to our headquarters. But I had other priorities, what I really came here for was something different, for her. I ran out of the underground immediately and came across Ariel and Kaidon, facing off each other with their guns in their hands.

From my end of the hall, I could see Kaidon's reactions clearly. His eyes were wide, probably bulging out of their sockets. His body began to tremble visibly, and he dropped the gun he held. While Ariel lowered her hand too, straightening herself, he took a step back, and his hand rose to cover his eye. He took another step back, stumbled and sat down on the floor.

"Wha-wh-who are you?" He yelled.

Just what I was fearing. I didn't want him to see her like that. I didn't want it to come to him as a horrible surprise. The resemblance must have been terrifying. I took quick strides towards them, turned her around and hid her face into my chest. He scrambled up to his feet and reached out a hand towards us but I slapped it away.

"Get a hold of yourself. She is not Alice."

"Are you kidding me Seydon? She looks-"

"She's her cousin. Alice died, you have checked that yourself countless times." I growled. I had too done that, check the results he got. In fact even I got my own tests done with different samples. I just couldn't believe how it was possible.

"Sey-"

"She is mine Kaidon!" I snapped.

"Sey- what is going on?" Ariel asked turning her head up to look at me. "I thought we never used names on the field?"

I pat her on the head, stalling her questioning. "Kaidon, we need to move. We can discuss this later."

Normally we tended to use the public air transport to avoid raising any suspicions however since I was in a hurry this time, I brought the private jet along. While I and Kaidon were seated opposite each other, Ariel was seated on the other end, her ear plugs on, as she took a nap on the flight. Kaidon's eyes were fixated on her, studying her features, while mine on Kaidon.

"What was she doing over there?" Kaidon finally broke the silence.

"She was on a mission."

"Why didn't anyone tell me about it?"