15. YO (EXCUSE ME, MISS)

Kaede kept her word except for their lunches. She and Dominque didn't have other Rendez-vous to the man's despair.

Control, Kaede wanted to be the one who set the beat. Things were going her way, but she couldn't help feeling something was off about her behavior.

"Kaede, are you okay?"

Iman waited for Kaede to speak for the last minute. Lost in introspection, the woman forgot Iman was there, "sorry, I' mㅡ."

"Kaede, can I speak frankly?"

Kaede straightened up on her seat, "sure; you always do anyway. Why ask?"

Iman smiled; she wondered if Kaede would be cool after what she said, "you've changed. It's not a bad thing; I mean, you seem more relaxed but stressed at the same time. I know you're my boss, but if you want to talk sometime about something that hasn't got to do with sales, just know that you can.

Iman was a poised woman. Kaede admired how she had her life planned out. She didn't talk to say gibberish, and she never gossiped about others. Joseph wasn't there, and the one hour spent with Dima at Sephora wasn't enough but remained cheaper than therapy.

Kaede sighed, "it's that guy; he stresses me."

Iman frowned, "who? You mean Dominque?"

"Yeah, we see each other."

"You mean you're dating," Iman corrected.

Kaede laughed nervously, "no, no, we're not dating. We're not a couple."

Iman's eyes widened while she nodded as if to say if you say so, "okay, so you see each other andㅡ.

Kaede sighed, "he wants so much out, ofㅡ."

"Your relationship," Iman completed.

Kaede glared at her assistant, "Iman, I said we're not dating."

Iman shook her head in disapproval, "Kaede, I think the problem is you don't want to admit that you're in a relationship."

Kaede leaned forward and bent her lips sad emoji style to say, "no, Iman, that's not it. I mean, he knows my Ex."

"So?"

Kaede shook her head and crossed her arms, "so he's my Ex's friend," she emphasized.

"Kaede, an Ex is someone you should forget when in a new relationship."

Kaede glared at Iman, "I said, we're not in one."

Iman leaned forward, "okay, Kaede, imagine Dominque, and you met up somewhere. That he was just a random guy that went:

I don't know what your name is, but excuse me, Miss.

I saw you from across the room,

And I got to admit that you got my attention,

You're making me want to say yo.

Iman said it in a straightforward tone as if the song's chorus was an ordinary pick-up line.

Kaede cocked an eyebrow, "don't quote Chris Brown, this is my love life we're talking about; Chris Brown got over all the Misses he met."

"No, seriously, Kaede, wouldn't you give him a chance? The man is fine. I mean, I'm not into those Latin fellas, and my husband is gold, but that man is an artwork. He seems decent; if he doesn't have a criminal record, doesn't do drugs, and if he hasn't got a baby mom in every city, I don't see any inconvenience to your not-really-in-a-relationship situation."