7. EYES SPY

Kaede sighed and lounged on her couch. "Did you speak to Marco?"

"I did, I know. I'm sorry if you thought I was kidding about you; I'm sincere. Marco still has feelings for you; he told meㅡ."

Dominque didn't know what impact his words would have, but he wanted Kaede to be aware of the whole picture.

"He told me you're his." Dominque played fair; if Kaede had to choose, the man wished to assure any controversial elements were observed and classified. The thought was the only strategic point. For the rest, it was all about emotions.

Kaede sat up, "what did you just say? The vein on her temple throbbed. If there was a sentence the woman hated was one that branded her as though she was cattle.

Kaede belonged to no one and would have no one claiming her.

I want you to know my feelings are genuine, but I don't want to bother or lose a friend. It might sound juvenile, but my relationship with Marco matters to me. It's not the only thing that counts; I care about your well-being, Kaede. Please come to The Floor. I'll take care of my feelings and just carry on minding your affairs. If you can't handle my presence, I'll tell Dyan to look for a replacement, or I'll get you a refund if you're not going to assist, Iㅡ."

"Dominque."

The man stopped

"See you on Thursday. I'll be there."

The sentence was short, there were no fluctuations in her voice tone, but it was enough for the man who received the words.

"Alright, Kaede, see you on Thursday at 8 pm."

Dominque hung up, surprised by the woman's reaction, not knowing the geyser he left. The man felt relieved the sleepless night, and the gallons of sweat that oozed out of his palms like a teen during puberty while he spoke was worth it.

The sentiment of living his first-time moments was persistent, and Dominque realized with stupefaction that everything he did since he met the woman was a first. With Kaede, the man discovered the meaning of trying.

Kaede's mind steamed as she resumed her braiding, "who does Marco think he is? His? The man has got a nerve."

Kaede preferred dying single than endeavoring in a Marco reboot. She loved him, and he broke her. The man would have to reel in a shooting star on her doorstep for her to consider him.

Kaede shook her head in disapproval. What was wrong with Dominque, sincere he said if it were the case, why did he withdraw himself so quickly?

Were his feelings ephemeral?

Kaede wasn't at ease with him chasing her, but she didn't like it either when she found herself staring at the store's entrance expecting Dominque to enter or waiting for someone to knock on her office door to tell her Dominque was there.

Never had Kaede waited for a day to come like the Thursday of her dance lesson, yet she managed to arrive late. The reason drove her up the wall; she took her time to get ready because she desired the man's attention. She was losing it.

Even though Dominque's smile was broad when he saw Kaede, the man pursued the class by feigning total indifference. Not once did he look at her directly. Nor did he call her out. Dominque left her at the back and worked with Tequilla for the demo.

Kaede, who wondered if she missed his gaze, let her stare follow the man like a hawk.

Even when Dominque came to the back lines, he focused on Nathan, Janis, and other members.

What was this?

Did his feelings revert in one go?

Dominque was careful. The episode at Pouckine cafe reminded him of how unpredictable her reactions were.

As soon as Kaede's stare shifted elsewhere, the man took a glance at her. The braids made her look younger; their length gave her a more fragile appearance. He loved seeing her in her low waist loose fleece joggers that revealed the Stüssy hem of her boxer and cropped tee, which showed the matching Stüssy sports bra with every arm movement. The man couldn't explain why but he found such effortless attires sexy.

It had been a while since a woman caught his eye like Kaede. She wasn't his type in the sense that he never got round to meeting women like her. For years he bathed in the oasis of models and women whose only ambitions consisted of being famous or making their name a brand Kardashians style.

Here he met the working girl, the type who came home late and could afford almost anything on her own.

Dominque could tell Kaede wasn't the kind of girl who would hint she desired something by leaving web and magazine pages opened on purpose.

If the trait was verified, it pointed to another aspect of her personality. Kaede probably never complained or asked for help.

Some men disliked women like Kaede, who didn't give into sufficient fawning over their manliness. What was an attraction no-no concerning Kaede was also what appealed. Other men unconsciously want women who push them away. Kaede dismissed many abruptly, and the men begged for more.

Up till now, Kaede didn't analyze much of Dominque's character or personality traits. But as her eye stalked him from across the room, she realized his aura was not one of a menacing male Alpha. All the man showed since day one was care. Kaede mentally slapped herself as the adjective gentle knocked on the door of her mind.

The idea stuck as Kaede watched him walk back to speak to all the class. He was different from Marco, who fronted 24/7. Dominque didn't seem to have an avatar of a better self to seduce. The man didn't need it; he could have all he wanted. Kaede stood in the same ax as Dominque for the first time since the class began; their eyes locked on one another.

The man's stare said it all; his attempt to hide his emotions failed.

Kaede wondered if her stare was as transparent because if it were, Dominque would understand she desired him too.