23. FAHRENHEIT

"Dominque, dad says, come and eat."

Kaede profited from the interruption to dodge him. She picked up the tray she prepared and followed Juan, who looked back on Dominque and gave him a suspicious stare.

Juan was at that age where women were fascinating, and everyone saw the little boy wasn't indifferent to Kaede's charms.

Dominque went to sit at the table where family members sat on either side of Kaede.

Sophia leaned over to Kaede, "I told you he'd sulk."

Instead, Dominque sat across from her.

During the meal, Kaede discovered what everyone's job was. Most had their small businesses; some quit super jobs to open bakeries, barbers, bars, and online apparel stores.

They all appeared carefree when they spoke about bills, taxes, and debts.

Kaede found herself at ease in a family environment that usually left her frustrated and uncomfortable. Most reunions in her family were masked fundings. One contributed to help someone who was I'll or to pay a funeral. On other occasions, it was to give for a marriage, christening, graduation, or birthday. Of course, everyone awaited Kaede's contribution to be consequent as she was single and without a child.

If ever the woman protested, they reminded her of all the good and sacrifices they all made to raise her.

Almost everyone from her aunt's to her cousins owed her something. When Kaede felt ashamed to ask for her money back, her family had no scruples asking for returns, even if it concerned an umbrella, a hammer, or a screwdriver. One of her cousins asked her for the return of a hairband once.

Here the Miguens shared a real family moment.

Lucy, Roberto's girlfriend, who was a bank advisor, gave some tips on placements.

No one seemed to be giving someone the eye for past grievances. The scene was what Kaede imagined when she thought about the family.

Hers resembled a rendezvous with loansharks.

Dyan began to explain to Kaede the names and taste of the traditional dishes, "you have Léchon roasted pig, Pernil, which is pork shoulder. The chicken Pinchos is the equivalent of shish kebab. Tostones say it's fried plantain nachos style. You can eat that with guacamole."

"There you have Arroz con habichuelas it's rice and beans in bacon fat," Sophia Clement's mother added, "Maduros fried green plantain, Alcapurrias. I love those we use taro root and green plantain to make the batter, and they can be stuffed with whatever you want, here you have different stuffings."

The ensemble of the endless list of dishes formed a five continent assortment with its exotic flavors.

For dessert, Questitos cream puffs, Parcha, which Kaede learned was passion fruit, Tembleque coconut type of flan, and Tres leches waited in the fridge.

Kaede's stare remained on Dominque, who she knew would not eat half of the spicy and sweet dishes—noticing her stare shift from the food to him. Dominque understood her interrogation; he winked to reassure her even if he knew it would not.

Aunt Ana passed a glass of rum to Kaede.

"What's this?"

"It's Aunt Ana's homemade rum," Dyan said.

"Don't drink that unless you want to find yourself in the same condition as Dyan, it makes one do crazy things," Sophia warned.

Kaede turned her stare to Dominque. The man shook his head, but Kaede thought it would be rude to refuse; she drank. Delighted, the older woman pulled on both her cheeks.