HANDS N NAILS

Some days one just feels cheerful. Kaede just wished to shuffle on the way to work on a James Brown song.

It was Marco's s day off.

The week always began with her wishing he would break a leg, then Kaede would just wait and pray for his day off.

Kaede acknowledged the fact her judgment was biased. The man could do whatever he wanted; Marco was still the evil bastard who left her when she needed him the most.

The man took away more than he could imagine the night he broke up with her.

Not only did she cry her heart out, but she bled. The doctors said it was not rare; stress, amongst other factors, could cause it.

The woman did not even have the time to grasp that she held life within her that it was gone.

Kaede loathed Marco, but above all, the woman hated herself for not taking care or listening to her body, which sent her warning signs.

The man had no clue of the grudge she carried. Inside, Kaede screamed like a banshee.

At least today, she could breathe on a little wooden plank that was Marco's day off and would let her float above the shit.

"Hi guys," Kaede pointed at the immense peacock train-colored mohawk, "oh Andrea, love the hair."

Andrea and Dia exchanged an accomplice stare while Kaede stood on the side to insert the key, which lifted the grid.

"I hope you guys are hyped, let's make some money." Kaede beamed

As they entered, Andrea gave Dia five euros for the bet she lost. Dia betted Kaede would be in a good mood, and Anissa, who was reasonably new, betted she would not.

The permanent staff knew Kaede was another woman in Marco's absence. Before opening, four other staff members joined them for the morning brief.

"Okay, guys, as you know, it's fashion week. Friday's venue should influence Saturday's sales. But I don't want you to sleep on it and wait for Saturday. Incentives are individual; it's you who decides whether your payment will be a plain loath of bread or coated with peanut butter, jam, whatever your fancy."

Also, we have the Sacai raffle coming up. Remember, you can not enter ours. If you want to try your luck, please see the other vendor's lottery."

"Kaede"

"Yes, Tara."

"I don't get why we can't enter the contest since it's a fair draw."

"We know it's fair, Tara, but customers don't. How would you feel if you entered a draw where the winners were the store's staff members?"

Tara nodded.

"Can I say something," the deep voice came from one of Da Stuff's prettiest faces.

If it was not for the voice, one could not imagine the Brazilian was transgender. Tan skin, almond-shaped eyes, and long black hair surpassed the buttocks with assets in the right places. Lorenzo threw shade on many so-called beauties.

"Yes, Lorenzo."

"Eh, guys, about the toilets, please don't piss as if you have a runaway hose out of control."

Tara clapped, and Dia knocked a knuckle with Lorenzo while Chris, Chen, Francois, lifted their eyes to the ceiling, amongst other gestures.

"Okay, thanks, Lorenzo. Let's open," Kaede clapped, and the music came on with the playlist she chose, which started with I feel good by James Brown.

This time it was Tara who discreetly gave five euros to Dia. As Andrea before her, she betted on the playlist, which began with Post Malone, Bazzi, or Black Bear, while Dia knew a good day meant there would be some soul, funk, and old school jives.