MISSING

The party was a success; Da Stuff saw the results from the following morning, where the store's footfall counter exploded. People wanted to buy all the outfits they saw on the stories and photos on Instagram.

Kaede was off as she worked from Monday to Friday, so it was at home that she opened the emails with the blogger reviews and photos. For once, Kaede didn't internally wish for her photos edited. Dima did a fantastic job Kaede's face came out well without any overshine. It was weird to think the only picture she had left with Marco were the ones on blogs.

The woman deleted all the ones she had. She didn't even keep the one Marco sent of his abs after his daily workouts.

Kaede zoomed on everyone's photo. All the team members looked great. Steph was right; he was the hype, with his model traits. The woman smiled, thinking about how the more handsome he would be, older.

Joseph resembled the Godfather with his all-black attire and black tinted glasses.

Kaede flicked through until she arrived on a post from the Rimbaud official. The title was Da Stuff Afterparty. The clichés captured the People of their event. Kaede flipped through; they were so many photos of the footballers.

When she came to Marco and Dominque, Kaede stopped. Both men looked stunning. She lingered on the photo and wondered what they found in her. The conclusion was they were masochists.

Kaede continued there were photos of the men on the dance floor and then others of Dominque with an Asian model. The clichés showed them whispering in each other's ear, followed by another where they posed. The girl's face seemed familiar. 

The photographer tagged them as LHan and BSM, pff even his Instagram name was sex orientated thought the woman.

Kaede threw her head back to chuckle; what a joke.

The man almost punk'd her with his we're made for each other, and I commit speech.

Kaede closed her laptop and threw herself on her bed; it was a moment where self-hate crept up and spooked her.

The man was a beau parleur [sweet talker], the words were mellow, and he almost got the best of her. She sat up, "don't sweat it, Kaede, nothing happened between you two. Shake it off, girl."

Saturday and Sunday passed fast, and finally, Monday came. At noon Kaede was in Joseph's office.

"Joseph."

"Oh, Kaede, take a seat."

"Where's the candidate? If they're running late, forget them."

"No, she's here."

Kaede spun around, "where?"

"It's you, Kaede. I want you to take St Honoré."

The woman's eyes widened, "what? But I didn't apply. Iㅡ"

"I want it to be you, Kaede. It's time; you're too big for your current position. Your mind needs more stimulating tasks."

"But Joseph, you know my passive, I can't."

"At was before; now you are solid, Kaede. I see no one else but you."

"Joseph, how about here? I meanㅡ," Kaede stopped, "that's why you hired him," Kaede looked at Joseph with stupefaction, "you had this planned. You're getting rid of me."

Joseph linked his hands under his chin," no, Kaede, I'm entrusting you with a million euros, baby. You are one of the most competent person I've met in years. You are honest, loyal, and you are trouble-free."

"Josephㅡ."

"Kaede, listen to me, remember what I foresaw for you."

The woman nodded.

"Trust me; you need to do this."

"Can I thinkㅡ?"

"Of course, you have five minutes."

The man turned to his screen, where he resumed his episode of La Casa de Papel.

Working with Marco was hell, and no one in the team would miss her. She didn't want to see Dominque anymore. At St Honoré, she would be the boss; the clientele would be more sophisticated and polite. It was a challenge and the salaryㅡ.

"Joseph, what's the salary?"

"40k year," the man replied without turning away from his episode.

"Where do I sign?"

"Joseph smiled and pushed the stapled papers towards her, "read, and bring them back on Wednesday."

"Thank you, Joseph."

The man waved her off; Kaede was stunned she worked like a robot. All she had in mind was that she was leaving. She observed the store and remembered its opening. How she saw every member arrive How they changed both in and out. The country girls became real Parisians. Some acquired a strong dress sense and sass. Others even gained celebrity grains that made them mini-celebs. Da stuff was a magical store where strange and beautiful things happened.

Suddenly Dominque and his soft hands strutted into her mind. Good riddance, Kaede thought.

There was nothing to be sad about in Joseph's offer; it was a promotion. Kaede worked hard, and Joseph was compensating. The man saw her potential; that's what the woman tried to convince herself instead of thinking the man was parking her elsewhere.

The week flew past. Strangely enough, Dominque did not visit the store.

Kaede brushed the thoughts of him away as she imagined she found happiness with the model. She focused on her new position and getting the store ready for opening.

"So, how do you feel?"

"Marco, stop pretending. I know you've jumped over the moon way more than Armstrong with joy."

"No, I'm not overjoyed, Kaede. I liked seeing your freckled face every day, you know I thought weㅡ."

"Marco, please don't, just don't."

It was closing time on Friday. Kaede didn't want the team to know. Everyone said goodbye see you on Monday as though Kaede would open the following week, but it was her last close, at least in that store.

Kaede handed Marco the keys, "be professional, Marco. And keep your dick in your pants, okay. If you create any scandal, I will scalp you. Joseph is a good man; don't betray his trust."

'Wow, you take me for a villain."

"Yes, I'm out of here," Kaede tugged on the straps of her backpack and began to walk.

"Don't I get a hug," Marco spread his arms.

"Die."

Kaede walked away without looking back. On Monday, the boss lady title would be official.