17. FAR GONE

Dominque watched Kaede sleep.

He pushed a few braids away from her face. The conversation they had the night before was an eye-opener; the man learned how Kaede grew up.

Even though his father was strict, Dominque acknowledged that he was part of the lucky lot.

The abundance of love played an essential part in the Miguens children's way of seeing life. They were optimistic no matter the circumstances because they knew they had the anchors that were their parents to keep their feet on the ground.

The buzz off his phone stopped his pondering; Dominque stretched out his hand, "that kid," he muttered, jumped out of bed, and hurried to the living where Dyan entered a few minutes later.

"Howdy."

"Don't howdy me; I told you to call."

"I sent you a message."

Dominque gave her a stern stare, which reminded the woman of the expression her brother harbored when he caught her doing something she shouldn't younger, "I said call at least an hour before coming. Not five minutes before barging in on us."

"Us?" Dyan threw a suspicious glare around the room, "is Kaede here?"

"She's asleep, and your loud mouth will wake her."

This time Dyan registered and weighed the situation, "wow, you finally made it. I am happy for you really; I'm glad you've moved forward."

Dominque crossed his arms, "did you come all the way here to say that?"

Dyan gave her a know-all smile, "no, I came to check the barbecue and space in the freezer. It's summer, and the yearly barbecue days are coming."

"What, here?"

Dyan let her voice trail as she strode to the kitchen, "yeah, it's almost tradition. It began right when you left. Uncle Luis wanted the family to get together, and this house is the only one with a pool, so we plan a few here."

Dominque joined her, "eh, when were you going to tell me about this?"

"For the record, no one expected you to be here with a woman at that, "oh hi, Kaede."

Dominque turned to find Kaede dressed. He walked up to her and grabbed her hands, "hey."

"Hey."

They were in their world where they gazed into each other's eyes without saying a word.

"Kaede, those knotless braids suit you so much," Dyan said, reeling the lovers back into reality, "they make me wish I had hair." Dyan swiped a hand on her platinum blonde boyish cut.

"I need to take them down."

"Ask Dominqeu to help you. He's a pro," Dyan opened the double door fridge to verify the space.

Kaede's gaze shifted to Dominque.

The man grinned, "as she says, I know the stuff."

"Trust him, Kaede, my brother, took out my braids and cornrows for the first sixteen years of my life. I know what you're thinking; what does this white boy know? Don't forget Puerto Rico is a hub for the Mediterranean, Caribbean, and African communities we are mixed through, and through, Dom can help you."

Dominque gave his sister a wink.

"Eh, I'll think about it," Kaede switched her gaze back to Dominque, "I have to go."

"Why? Dyan isn't staying long."

"I'm starting work at 11; it's already 9:30 the time I get back."

Dominque glanced at Dyan, who went out to the garden shelter to check the barbecue.

"Can I see you tonight? After work, I'll be at the club. I'll send you the address."

"Dominque, Iㅡ."

"You can make time; you know you can. Let's hangout; we can have dinner, go to the cinema whatever you fancy."

"Okay, I'd like that."

Kaede fought against her hell-bent ways and attempted to listen to her heart, which she could not ignore anymore. It knocked louder and harder as the days went by like a Stevie Aoki jam for Ibiza. The man gained space as the thought of him squeezed into her psyche.

Dominque cupped Kaede's face in his hands and planted multiple small kisses on her lips before taking her in a hug. It was pleasant and warm. Kaede would have stayed there if she didn't have other imperatives.

"I've got to go."

Dominque accompanied Kaede to her vehicle, "see you later," she kissed him on the cheek and got in her car.

The man stood to watch her maneuver out of the space and drive off.

"Dom, you are so far gone for this woman," Dyan said when he reappeared in the kitchen.

"Is it that apparent?"

"Boy, Kaede is sure clueless, but you barely know her, and here you are making heart eyes. I mean, you met her in my class."

"No, I met her at church."

The image was a little blurred, but the man was almost a hundred sure it was her though all he saw was a silhouette and a few beauty marks.

Dyan cocked an eyebrow, "Say what? Stop lying. The last time you stepped in one, it was aunt Rosario's funeral."

"You're wrong. Anywayㅡ."

"Oh, no, don't tell me you've become like Olivia's grandma who sees signs everywhere."

"I said anyㅡwayㅡ, when is this infamous barbecue taking place?"

"Probably this weekend, they're announcing forty degrees. By the way, make sure Kaede's there."

Dominque didn't know how to interpret Dyan's behavior. Did she support him, or was she scheming something else? One thing was sure her visits were not innocent. The man suspected his sister of spying on him on their mother's behalf," Dyan, you're not planning something weird on Kaede, are you?"

"Dom, don't be silly; it's a barbecue, the more, the merrier. I mean, she'll probably be here anyway, right?"

Dominque shrugged and helped Dyan to clean the barbecue. Their relationship was all new, and perhaps the get-together was a little premature, but Dominque figured if he didn't make a fuss, force, or stress, perhaps Kaede could consent to come even for a short period.

In the meantime, Kaede turned on the music in her car. Her thoughts drifted off to their night together. A night full of gentle gestures. There was no sex, yet it was an intimate and affectionate moment they shared. Dominque held her close all night, his warm breath fanned her ears, and his body's heat kept her sound asleep. The woman had not slept that well in a while; she felt invigorated.