fifteen

Fifteen minutes to go.

They were sitting on the couch, her hand in his and her head on his shoulder. Both had their eyes on the TV but their attention on the unspoken question that hadn’t been whispered yet. The coffee was going untouched on the coffee table and was probably ice cold by now. Their breathing was in sync, slow steady breaths; neither one wanted to break the silence. 

She couldn’t help it. She wished she could have kept her emotions in check and she wished she could get through this night without the confrontation and the issues. The thing was, she just couldn’t keep the tear from falling down her face. And once she sniffed, she could feel his chest rise and fall in a sigh.

“Please don’t cry. Please. Please.” His voice was practically begging, though he knew they had to talk about it whether or not she wanted to admit it.

“I’m not crying, nothing is happening. It’s okay.” 

“We can’t go through life like it’s not happening,” he argued softly, refusing to look into her eyes and instead looking at their fingers that were linked together. 

“We’re not. Just… Just can we not talk about it for a little longer?” She begged.

“Okay, and then next thing we know, it’s happening tomorrow and we still haven’t talked about it. We graduate next month and we still haven’t talked about it. We’ve known this was coming for months now and we have to do something about it.” 

She watched as his thumb brushed over the hollow between her thumb and her pointer finger.  “Fine. I got my dream job teaching in New York.” 

Reluctantly, he withdrew his hand from hers and sat back on the couch. “And I got stationed for training in Colorado.” 

“So what are we going to do?”

---

update a day:)

dedication to a commenter

-katie-