fourteen

Fourteen minutes to go. 

As everyone around them cheered, they looked at each other with a sense of understanding. It was graduation day and they both realized what the future held for them and neither of them could say for certain if it included each other. He linked his pinky finger with hers and they both nodded slightly. It was a small movement but one that broke their hearts. 

“Off to Jimmy’s for dinner! You lovebirds coming?” Jenny asked, turning to them with a wide smile.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” Leigh replied with a smile that was a bit too forced.

“We’ll meet you there,” Ben added as he tugged on Leigh’s hand. She followed without question, letting him lead her through the hoards of people and to their bench.

The bench they would sit at for hours talking about everything under the sun. Where they argued about which Marvel character deserves their on movie, what Doctor was the best Doctor, whether decaffeinated coffee was any different than regular coffee, and how much NFL football players should make annually. It was where they had their first kiss. It was where they would meet between classes if their schedules allowed. It was where he first said “I love you” and she realized she was in love with him.

They sat in silence for a few moments before he cleared his throat. “You know whatever happens that you’ll be my best friend for the rest of my life, right? You can call me at 2am, you can call me if you’re anxious or can’t sleep, you can call me if you need me to come out to New York because something happened. I’m always going to be there for you and being miles apart isn’t going to change that.”

“I know. We’re invincible, right?”

“Right.”

---

update a day!

check out the new one shots i posted on my story that has al from take me as i am!

instagram: myheartsmistake

-katie-