twelve

Twelve minutes to go.

There was some sort of eerie feeling that followed Leigh around all day and she couldn’t figure out why. The kids were well behaved for her and one even brought her an apple. Her first year of teaching had gone great and the second year was going even better. As she watched her kids play on the playground during recess, she realized what it was that was bothering her.

It had been months since she had talked to Ben.

There shouldn’t be any problem with that fact because it was just a college romance. Nothing more to it than that, right?

The last time they had talked, he was just about to be deployed for a six month tour. That was seven months ago.

Three hours later, she was sitting in her classroom trying to grade homework but she kept glancing at her phone that was right beside her left hand. Giving out a sigh, she grabbed it and dialed the familiar number.

“Hey. You’ve reached Ben. I’m probably saving the world or something awesome like that, so hey, leave a message if you feel like you’re important.”

“Hey Ben! It’s Leigh. I was just thinking it’s been a long time since we’ve talked and I’m pretty sure you came back last month, or something. Um. Yeah, I don’t really know what else to say, but if you wanna give me a call, it’d be great to talk to you again. I mean, if you have time. Okay, talk to you later. Maybe. Bye.”

---

update a day and dedications to commenters!

-katie-