one

One minute to go.

With an hour to go until his wedding, Ben felt feelings he had never felt before. Genuine love for Marie kept a smile on his face while his groomsmen slapped him on the back, prepping him for the big moment. Mark walked into the room with hesitant steps, biting the inside of his cheek and sighing when he saw Ben sitting on a chair. 

“Mark! It’s so good to see you, how is the baby?” 

“She’s good. This is for you. It’s from Leigh.” Mark didn’t bother with formalities, dropping the letter into Ben’s hands. “It’s up to you man, open it if you want or toss it into the trash and don’t give it a second thought. We figured you should have the option of deciding.”

“So she’s not staying.” He stated, not really feeling any type of surprise. He had a long talk with Marie before he even sent the wedding invitation to Leigh, figuring his future wife deserved to know everything. She trusted him enough, telling him to do what his heart told him to. He was over Leigh, really, but he wanted them to have a proper goodbye instead of the last conversation they held on the way to the airport after his trip to New York. 

He slowly opened the letter, preparing himself for what was inside.

Ben,

This is where you are meant to be. I’m where I am meant to be. I loved you and I know you loved me, but we had our time and now I can’t wait for you to continue on without me. Thank you for the best years of my life. Let’s leave it at this, okay? No more calling, no more talking. Leave the college days behind us. Every once in a while, I promise to think of you and pray that you’re happy with your life. I promise to never forget you.

I don’t think you ever understood, Ben, that I was never the one you were meant to be with. Some part of me always knew that, but you were so kind. Girls talked about you like you walked on water and made blind people see again. You are a star to every person you meet; people always forgot my name ten minutes after I introduced myself, but you stuck in the minds of people for days. 

I was never good enough for you. And I’m just glad you found someone who’s your equal and not your lesser.

You are invicible,

Leigh.

---

ugh i'm sorry this whole udpate a day fell apart when my computer stopped working :( sorryyy!

enjoy <3

-katie-