29 A Journey to Remember

POV ELSA

"Thank you Nokk," A trembling whisper escaped from my lips which then pursed tightly together.

I watch how the water horse gallops towards the open sea and then joins together with the waves, finally disappearing in the dark. The salty sea wind is drying off my hair and clothes as I took one moment more to stare at the soothing sight of the waves.

Few hours ago I arrived back to Ahtohallan through the snowglobe. This was just my hunch and desire, that I would have a slight chance to meet him again. Still I didn't wish to do this half heartedly after Toothiana had stopped me from entering the portal and given me Jack's human memories, safely contained in a memory tube. So as soon as I got through the portal on this side, I called out for Nokk and went to get the last thing that I believed that I would need.

The splash of a wave crashing on the shore made me wake up from my daze and only then I noticed the wet stains on my cheeks. I wiped away the tears that I shed without even noticing and then I rushed to get the things which I had hid in the snow close to the entrance of Ahtohallan itself.

I knelt down in the snow but it didn't feel cold at all. With my bare hands I dug for a goodwhile until my fingers felt something metallic. I pulled out the memory tube and placed it on my lap before I continued digging. Finally I found the wooden pieces of a staff. I made sure that all the tiny ice figurines were still intact and hanging from the crooked piece before I stood up.

My lap was filled with all of the lovely memories of him. Still the brightest memory was his laughter and smile which were sealed within my heart.

The route deeper inside Ahtohallan felt much different from the first time that I took it. That fluttering feeling had fleeted from me, the vibrant colors that I saw were gone. The whole place seemed to echo the same emptiness which had filled me.

Still I took the way, hoping and fearing at the same time. Once I reached the ice pillars that would take me across a depth, I just stepped over the empty space. My magic was enough to create a bridge over the pillars.

At the end of the bridge was a slide down, towards the hall where all the spirit stones were held. Carefully to avoid dropping any of the precious items I slid down until I reached the entrance of the hall.

It was quiet and dark. The lights of the spirits weren't there to guide me this time. The darkness seemed to suit me.

"Hello?" I called out but everything was awfully quiet. Though who would've responded anyway.

I saw a reflection in the middle of the room and it made me see a glimpse of the snowflake which the spirit stones made when I became the fifth spirit. Slowly and hesitantly I walked across the hall until I thought that I reached the spot.

"Spirits, could you lend me your light?" I asked and for a moment a purple light flashed but then in the end it disappeared.

A sigh escaped from me as I knelt down and placed down the broken pieces of Jack's staff, his memory tube and then I pulled out a letter which I wrote to him in the past. I place everything down in the center of the snowflake pattern and then I place my hands on the floor.

Water has a memory.

I thought as I let my magic flow. I could hear the water droplets around me but then a feeling stung me - I failed so many times in the past. I can't even get the spirits to help me as I am here. How can I do this? How could someone like me bring anyone back from the dead?

With a woosh all of the water droplets rained down on me. My tears began to flow like the rain around me and I cried violently while hugging myself.