17 - A Pair of Ice Skates

POV Elsa

It was 30th January when I finally arrived to the city of Burgess. The light had disappeared with the first rays of the sun. In the end I didn't need a map or compass, I just knew that I had to follow that dim light.

"Thank you. You may rest for now my friend," I kiss the head of my Nokk and then I see it leaving.

It would find a nice, comfortable water source to rest on.

People in the city had dressed up warmly because it was full fledged winter. I pull the hood of my cape up to cover my head and blend in a bit better. There weren't that many inhabitants in this city but still, it felt hard to find Jack from here.

I walk into this convenience store. I see that the products are neatly lined up behind the counter. Then I go to the saleswoman.

"Excuse me but could you help me out a bit?" I ask.

It was about noon already. Tomorrow would be his last day if I won't make it in time.

"Yes, what would you like to buy?" the saleswoman smiles.

I pull my hood down and shake my head, "No. I don't exactly intend to buy anything. It's just...maybe... you know someone named Jack?"

"Jack...let's see...there's the Jack of Smith's and Jack of Baker's... and--," she begins.

"What? So many?" I gasp.

"Yes and there's more...it's rather common name around here," she chuckles.

"H-he is having a birthday tomorrow," I gasp and then I lift my hand, "--about this tall. Brown eyes, brown hair... he has a little sister and his father is a wood cutter."

"Ah, you mean Jackson Overland?" the lady smiles.

"Y-yes! I think so!" I cheer and a smile sneaks on my face.

"He is outside just now...but why would a nice girl like you be involved with such a---," she says and suddenly a snowball crashes on the shops surface interrupting her, "--troublemaker like he is."

My breathe was sealed away when the door suddenly opened and a guy peeks inside.

"Sorry miss Rose, my bad....we're just playing," he laughs and his eyes sparkle. Then I see how a child throws a snowball on his back and he groans.

"Hey! I'll get back to you on that!" He chuckles and leaves back to outside.

"See, he is such a troublemaker but well, the younger children around here love him," the saleswoman, Rose sighs and smiles warmly.

"Thank you!" I say and lift my hood back on my head.

I rush outside and then I saw this huge snowfight happening. Jack was there, in the flesh and laughing. I go to stand against the stores wall and I watch them playing. He was much older than the kids but he was in his element.

Suddenly no more than a four year old boy fell on the ice and began crying. I ran to him immediately and placed my hand on his shoulder. I notice Jack looking around a bit to see who was crying.

"My name is Elsa. What's your name?" I ask and look at the boy whose crying was now just hiccups.

"Elijah," he sniffed.

"Elijah...hey, what's your favorite animal," I keep smiling.

"Horse," he mumbles and his tiny lower lip is shaking.

"Horse, that's my favorite too," I laugh and then I mold a horse figure from ice.

"It's ice so it will melt eventually." I tell him as I hand him the tiny horse figure.