Finding A Traitor : Chapter 23

LOCATION : HOKAGE'S OFFICE

Five months had passed since the Battle of Bloody Rivers had been fought, and the survivors of the aforementioned battle had just arrived back at the Hidden Leaf Village about an hour earlier.

Two men were sitting in an office with a single desk between them. One man looked to be in his sixties, though he could not have been any older than fifty. The other man was nearly twenty years younger.

The names of the two men were Hiruzen Sarutobi and Sakumo Hatake.

Removing the pipe from his mouth, Sarutobi looked into the younger man's eyes. "Tell me, Sakumo… how did it happen?"

Sakumo took a deep breath. "You want to know about the Battle of Blood Rivers."

There was no question in Sakumo's words.

"Yes, I do," Sarutobi replied simply. "Your written report seemed… farfetched."

"It wasn't," Sakumo said firmly. "The Chunin level sensors that were sent to aid us were incapable of seeing past a rather high ranking GenJutsu. Only someone of my skill was able to see through it. It was because of that that we were unprepared for the assault by a thousand Sand Ninja."

"Surely you overestimate," Sarutobi said with narrowed eyes. "You wouldn't be sitting here before me if a thousand Sand Ninja attacked you."

"The heir of the Yamanaka clan was certain that the count was more than Nine Hundred but less than Twelve hundred. I'm sure that his count was accurate," Sakumo said dryly. "I came up with a plan quickly. The plans that we had prepared fell through because of their swapped strategies and larger than expected forces. One of my Special Jounin added onto the plan by showing us some of his moves and his Clones to assault their forces."

Sarutobi raised an eyebrow at that explanation. He knew that Sakumo only had one Special Jounin in the whole Village .

"That attack actually took out about a tenth of their forces, so we switched to using long ranged NinJutsu while they recovered and continued to charge," Sakumo continued, unfazed. "We quickly engaged them in a free-for-all type of battle. I lost focus on most of my men at that point, but I did see something interesting."

Sarutobi leaned forward in interest.

"Uchiha Naruto took out Six Hundred Ninjas it was like he was having fun when he was fighting in taiJitsu then he showed his skills in NinJutsu and saved the life's of many including my student Uzumaki Kushina," Sakumo said, looking the older man in the eyes. "I learned three things when that happened."

Sarutobi looked surprised for a second, but he was a master of keeping his calm. "What did you learn?"

"First off, I learned that Naruto is a true Leaf Shinobi and would gladly put his life at risk to aid a comrade," Sakumo said. His eyes narrowed and his voice became dangerous as he continued. "Secondly, I learned that Kushina Uzumaki is a jinchuriki. The Nine-Tails is the only possible tailed beast she can contain too. That reminds me… why in the hell did you not tell me that a Jinchuriki was in my fu***** army?"

"Sakumo, you weren't supposed to find out," Sarutobi said as he leaned back in his chair. "No one was supposed to know."

Sakumo's eyes still held coldness to them as he spoke again. "The third thing that I learned is that  Uchiha Naruto is an army killer."

Sarutobi's eyes widened at that proclamation. An 'army killer' was a term used by the top brass of the village. It described an individual like Hashirama Senju, Tobirama Senju, Hiruzen Sarutobi, and the Sannin. Alone, they could deal with an entire army. It made them invaluable.