Chapter Fifty-Two

Valentino dropped the kids off at school another day since Alvin left. Admittedly taking care of the twins was one of the hardest things he ever did. Not even his father's intense training compared to taking care and raising two kids single handedly. It wasn't for a lack of help mind you,Val had help on every side. His parents were more than willing to share responsibilities. His mother got along with the twins splendidly while his father...well, Luciano was trying. His concentration was more on training the kids than anything really. Luckily it wasn't anything intense, Alvin already trained them so at least they weren't completely without knowledge in self defense.

Yeah. It was not strange at all teaching five year olds martial arts.

Note the sarcasm.

Leon was another huge aspect of their lives. Between dropping them off at school to everyday life he pretty much shared parental duties with him. Of course let's not forget Luca who was practically attached at the hip with Leon. Aurial and Alexander had unfortunately moved in as well. It was a mad house and I wondered how Alvin will most likely throw a fit.

Sighing I clutched the steering wheel as I tried to rein in my emotions.
"God, I miss you" I thought aloud bitterly. Alvin's absence was hitting me harder than I thought possible. I was a hardened under boss for fuck' sake but just a thought of my golden curly haired beauty had me melting like ice. He didn't just make me weak,he made me the strongest I could be. For the longest time love was but a distraction, a weakness at best but I know better now.

Pulling into the villa I was met by Aurial and Luca. A few men where scattered here and their with weapons. Parking by the entrance. I Climbed out the SUV as the two approached me.

"We have a problem." Aurial spoke with a blank look.

"When don't we have a problem Aurial?in case you missed the memo we always seem to have one problem or the other. So just spit whatever headache we are facing this time around." I grumbled as I pushed between the two heading inside.

"Team Phoenix is missing" He blurted out stopping me in my tracks.

I swallowed the lump in my throat before turning around to face my two right hand men.
"What?" I gritted with a clenched jaw as so many emotions hit me at once. I wanted to cry and yell,punch a wall or a face. Anything to get rid of the intense pain that gripped my heart at the moment.

"Alvin's uncle called earlier, it seems the whole unit has disappeared. There's no news from Alvin or his team. Last known location is Saudi Arabia. A rescue team was sent but they found nothing. Its like they where never even their to begin with." He paused looking at me with uncertainty, as though any moment I might do something crazy. And frankly he was right to worry.

"Get him on phone." I ordered as I swallowed the stone in my throat starring him down.

"He says he will call when he has news." Luca was the one to reply this time.

"just do it"

With  a sigh Aurial proceeded to do just that. And while  the phone rang and rang Val's chest tightened with  unease.

"something  is wrong" he thought with a heavy heart.

***

A million  Miles across  the world two phoenix black ops members were in distress as one of their own bleed out from  an injury from her stomach. The gurgling  sound of Tiffany pulled at the guy's hearts. Cpt Lincoln's hands pressed down on Tiffany's  stomach  where a large hole could be seen. Her eyes slowly  closing as she tried to fight the impending  demise. Her blond hair wet from the edges as her tears soaked through. Hutch clutched at his head as he cried silently for his comrade.

Riot laid barely unconscious at the other end as smoke rose from the  flames.

"you need to go..."Tiffany choked  out as she fought to breath in the smoke infested area. Her mind had already accepted her fate, but her heart wouldn't take it if her friends followed the same fate. She had to get them out. She gripped at Lincoln 's hand with what little strength she had.
"you....... Should go. Save......"she choked out as her breaths failed.

"we can't leave you" Lincoln croaked out as his hands shook terribly. He needed to  get his head right so he could get them to safety but he couldn't leave her alone alone either.

Nobody stays behind " that's what Alvin grilled into them.

He tried reaching out to back up but nothing  but static came through. The blast had completely  wiped out everything in the area. And from where he was standing, his team was screwed.

Literally.

Hutch, can you check on Riot? " he asked as he glanced at the sobbing mess on his right.

Yeah, grief certainly  didn't care how good you were at pulling the trigger.

"Hutch! " he snapped at the flamboyant  marine, effectively snapping him out of his daze.

"wha... What? "

"check on Riot" he ordered.

"...right "

He moved to crawl to the injured  man at the other end. Checking on his pulse with shaking hands. At first Hutch couldn't feel a pulse because  he couldn't differentiate between his own frantic beating heart to his comrade 's slow one. With a few deep breaths he willed himself to calm down and concentrate.

Closing his eyes he zoned in and focused solely on the injured marine.  He pressed his fingers to Riot's wrist. After a few seconds  he breathed in relief as he felt the faint heartbeat.

"His alive. His pulse is weak but his still alive" he called out to Lincoln.

When Lincoln didn't answer he turned to look over. Lincoln visibly shook as he held Tiffany's dead body in his arms. Her eyes stared emptily at the scorched basement roof.

Hutch blinked once. Then twice as he swallowed hard. The stone in his throat however refused to go down no matter how hard he swallowed.
The pain came and it was intense. Hutch remembered the time Keagan died. Keagan Andrews was another member of team phoenix. During an operation in Europe a few years ago, team phoenix was ambushed by the enemy and one of its members died on the spot. The group had being devastated and sort out revenge. And of course had gotten it. But despite the death of the person that had taken their teammate's life phoenix couldn't have closure. War had a price.

And they paid it with one of their own.

Now two.

With tears rolling down their faces two of team phoenix clutched their comrades to themselves as they hoped and prayed for a miracle.

Alvin to be safe.

They couldn't afford to lose yet another. Two where more than enough.