Chapter Three

Alvin

As a child i wanted to follow in my father's footsteps and become a doctor, however in my teens my dream drifted towards a riskier more daring career choice hence why as soon as I graduated high school I enlisted in the marines at the age of 18.

However after five years of combat I was sick of it all and left,well i took a break. It didn't help that my best friend and the love of my life died covering my ass.

After the trauma I sort out something that could take my mind off from losing Jason, so I did what I was best at and became a contract killer,I mean if I couldn't kill the people that directly took him from me I could at least rid the world of a few bad guys. The government trained me to kill and I was damn good at it. But their rules came with restrictions and I hated restrictions. You don't make a weapon and turn around to say the weapon is too dangerous. I was a mercenary for my country of some sorts while doing small time jobs on the side.

My side contracts believe it or not are justified ,I only kill bad people and with good reason.

So when I saw that photo of him my heart stilled.

Seriously? a mafia boss?!the bloody godfather of all things. Karma really was a bitch,I an assassin while the father of my children just had to be the Italian crime family's mafia boss!

"Fuck' I cursed aloud as I kicked a Pebble. After our little encounter I had driven for miles and ended up on this dust road.

It didn't help that my kids were aware of how they came to be.
I believed in honesty, especially with my kids, my parents were always honest with me and Xander about everything and we grew up with a blunt mouth.

Dad and I had sat down Ares and Angel and explained how I was actually their mother as soon as they began to ask for their mother.
It didn't feel right stringing them along with tales of a coming mother. Though now it's more of a "daddy when are we meeting our father?' And now this shitty situation.
Why couldn't he have been a business man or Popper, fuck he could have been a gigolo for all I care not a bloody mafia boss!,Isn't it enough that I killed people for a living and lived dangerously?

"Christ! just my shitty luck"

Pulling my phone out I dialed my dad

"Hey,how did it go?' Was dad's first words after every job,I imagined it was his way of nagging without seeming to.

"I'm on my way. Be there in forty five mintues give or take,talk then" I answered then hang up without waiting for his reply.

An hour later I sat with my dad on my balcony having found the kids asleep. Luckily they didn't fuss too much in my absence. Ares can be a tail when he wants to,clingy and whinny when he doesn't see me for a justifiable amount of time.

"What happened?' Dad looked to me with a glass of whisky, grey eyes like mine searching my face for answers. unsurprisingly dad hasn't always been supportive of my career choice,he was ever vocal in the beginning, whinnying and nagging about the dangers but after awhile he got used to it and sucked it up. I knew he was proud of Xander and i but it wasn't a secret my own job took off years off his life compared to Xander 's drawing buildings.

"Well... Turns out my contract was to assassinate the Italian crime family boss Valentino Valerius" I drawled almost calmly though I felt anything but calm. Dad would flip.

"Okay...? " Dad asked frowning not knowing where I was going with this.

"I didn't kill him... I couldn't"

Dad starred at me for a moment.

"Why...,you have killed a lot of people before, don't tell me you grew a conscious suddenly. Besides isn't their repercussions for failed assignments?" he asked frowning deeply

"Yes,I'll deal with the consequences of my actions later" I answered stalling.

"Why didn't you kill him Alvin? It's him or you,you know that right?you have a target on your back and that extends to me and the kids! What where you thinking? Why didn't you kill him?! You have assassinated presidents before how was a Mafia boss difficult for you?!" Of course my father was already working a sweat.

He was right though, the general rule is if an assassin couldn't deliver he was put down and most of the times by extension his or her family which was why dad seemed to flip but everybody knew never to cross the shadow,heck no one knew me other than the government that employed me. In fact I didn't exist in the system.

"You forget what I'm capable of dad" I spoke eerily quite even for my own voice, sometimes I scared even myself.
"Its not you I'm worried about but my grandchildren!" Dad yelled losing his patience which was rare,he was always calm and composed.

"He will protect them when and if I can't" I said looking him in the eye trying to convey the situation without utterly those words.

Dad stilled,tensing as he comprehended my words staring me dead in the eye. I watched as his whole form deflated,shoulders slumping and defeated with realization, suddenly my dad looked years older than his forty seven years.

It felt like hours had passed though it was probably just a minute when he spoke again.

He chuckled bitterly and I felt my heart squeeze painfully, the disappointment on his face said it all.

"You sure know how to pick them Alvin, Your whole life i have been living on the edge of a seat,worrying and dreading if you will come home alive or I'll get a phone call from the morgue. I thought when you got pregnant you would stop but no you just had to keep at it,now I'm finding out my grandkids other father is a Mafia boss really Alvin?! Cant i get a break?! what where
you thinking?" he sighed dejectedly

"It was a one night stand dad,I met the guy in a bar how was I to know he was Mafia?" I hissed heatedly.

How was it my fault the fucker who knocked me up ended up being mafia. I mean yeah I was probably stupid for letting him fuck me without a condom but I was drunk... Right?, okay maybe tipsy but I have the most beautiful kids because of that one night of stupidity.

"Did you tell him?,does he know about the kids?" He asked

"No" suddenly I felt tired of everything,my kids weren't safe with me before their father turned up and will most certainly not be safe with him. Heck at least my enemies had a long way before they found out my true identity but him...

I sighed rubbing my hands on my face.

"Don't tell him,at least not yet. For now you're their safest option" Dad reasoned nervously. His fear showing slightly then without another word he turned and walked away.

Well at least he hasn't set Xander on me.