Chapter Twelve

Valentino

It was at least another half hour before Alvin and Ares came down. Ares seemed like he had been crying. I didn't understand his reaction to me when Alvin told the twins I was their father. I was so happy at finally being acknowledged that at first hadn't noticed Ares' discomfort.
I watched my boy as he and his Dad made their way down the stairs, Ares looked weary but happy and hopeful,his emotions where all over the place. I stood up with Angel by my side as I held her tiny little hand in my much larger one.

Angel was a ball of energy, talking a mile a minute about everything and nothing,one thing I have learned about my daughter in the few minutes we spent together was that she spoke her mind and was confident. She reminded me so much of my grand mama the formidable Donna Eloise, granny was pretty much the one who carried on the Valerius family legacy when my grand papa was killed while my father and uncle where still kids. She held down and ruled the mafia single handily brought the families together and united them against a common enemy while raising and protecting my father and uncle. Even when some of the families tried to rebel and remove the Valerius family from leadership because they felt a woman leading them was distasteful and a disgrace to the Italian mafia, she held on,and proved them wrong over and over again. Donna Eloise wasn't even from a crime family but when her children's birthright was threatened she stepped up and claimed it back,ruling with both grace and an iron fist.

She was a powerful and respected woman in her time,still is even though she uses a wheelchair due to old age,she's still as cunning,manipulative yet charming and effective as ever.

She would be overjoyed to learn of her great grand kids.

"Ares,come say hi to Dad!" Angel yelled out to her brother as he came near us wearily hiding behind his father's back. Alvin looked at me with an apologetic stare as he sat down in the opposite seat with Ares in his arms.

"Hey,go on tell him what's on your mind honey,yeah? Alvin cooed at Ares.
Ares took a deep breath as if gathering some strength and walked over to Angel and I.

"Hi,I'm Ares" he introduced as he extended an arm to me. I just wanted to push his little hand away and hug him to me but I figured it was too soon so I extended my own much larger hand and settled for a firm handshake instead," nice to meet you Ares,I'm Valentino"

Ares nodded in understanding.
"So if you're also our father what are we supposed to call you? Dad is daddy and you?" He asked.

"Well since,Alvin is Dad,how about Papa for Valentino eh?" My father answered from his seat where he was plopped next to Leon. The two were surprisingly getting along quite well despite the situation, I had  thought my father would be a pain in all this but so far so good.

"Yeah,Papa and Dad so we don't get confused" said Angel with an approving grin.

"Okay... But are you going to leave us again papa?Dad says to ask you since you haven't been with us all this time?are you going to go back to the bad people and fight again,please say you won't go again papa,I don't want you to get hurt please" Ares' voice cracked as tears made way on his cheeks,he bawled his little hands in tight fist at his side,slubbing at his wet cheeks while trying to keep a firm tone. I could tell he was trying to keep from sobbing hysterically by a thread.
I felt a tag in my chest as I looked on helplessly,what was he talking about?I wondered, looking up to Alvin who was already up and moving to comfort the little boy.

Alvin picked Ares as the boy clutched to him,fist tugging at his father's curls.

"Hey hey,its okay your papa isn't going back to the army,right Valentino?"he cooed as he mouthed "go with it"
I figured Alvin had lied to the kids over the years as to where I was,seems he had come up with the army lie.

I just stood frozen in place until Angel pulled at my arm looking just as distraught as Ares though she was doing a better job at keeping her tears in even though I could clearly see the red in them and puffy nose.

"Are you going to go back to fight the bad people and leave us again papa?"she asked with a slight glare and trembling lips.

"No,no sweetheart I'm here to stay with you guys for good now" I picked her up and hugged her to me and as if on Que she started bawling at her eyeballs,sniffing on my shoulder as she wept.
I moved to where Alvin had Ares and run my hand in his black curls cooing softly at him as I promised never to leave them ever again. Ares turned to my arms and stuffed his neck akwardly in my chest while his legs where still tangled in his father's arms,his arms clutched at Angel and my suit collar. The whole thing looked akward and emotional with Alvin so close to me that I could smell his natural earthy scent.

"Okay,enough tears now how about we get to know each other?,you guys tell me all about yourselves and what you've up to in my absence huh?"I asked as I withdrew to look at the adorable mess that was my kids.

"Yes,lets go to our room and we can have a tea party" Angel exclaimed excited. I quickly looked up at Alvin for help but the smug little smirk on his gorgeous face was enough to tell me he wasn't going to bother helping me. Turning to Ares,he looked like he had the sun and moon in his eyes and I felt my throat clog at the love and admiration in those little globes. Without another thought I kissed his forehead as tenderly as I could hoping it expressed my own emotions. I already loved these little people more than anything.

"Alright then a tea party it is,lead the way" I said as I gently put Angel down kissing her on the forehead just as lovingly.
Angel gave me the brightest smile a little child could give and my heart just swelled.
Alvin cleared his throat and looked away,letting go of Ares' legs as the little boy wrapped them to my body.

I chuckled at his cuteness, he was like a koala in that moment.

Yeah,for a mafia Don,these two couldn't wrap me around their little fingers fast enough.

Not that I was complaining,I was loving the attention tremendously.