Chapter Thirteen

I awoke to the loud barking of Phoenix at 4am,it was still dark outside and the moon was still overhead. Wondering what the dog was barking at,I hastily got out of bed and put on my house slippers never minding that i was still naked on my upper body and left my room to investigate the cause of the noise.

I trudge through the house,coming to a stop in the sitting area where Phoenix was aggressively moving back and forth,scratching at the glass doors as if she could scratch her way out. The dog seemed highly agitated hence spiking my nerves.

I could feel that something was wrong,so i walked to the light switch and switched on the backlight but couldn't see anything. However I as a trained assassin i knew better and so i pressed the next much smaller switch button that lay almost invisibly and instantly a red light was flashing back and forth across the property.

Red meant only one thing,someone had breached the perimeter.

Running upstairs and i got the two handguns with silencers that i always keep beneath my pillows and ran back down just as Dad was running out of his own room to see what was going on.

Almost bumping in each other,I steadied dad.

"Take the kids to the safe room and call Valentino,someone has breached the perimeter" Luckily for me Dad didn't need to be told twice and ran off towards the twins room.

Going back down stairs to the kitchen where i opened a drawer,taking out a small monitoring hand device and pressed a small hidden button effectively locking down the upper level of the house.

Phoenix who was hot on my heels was rudely picked and dropped on the nearest couch, despite knowing the dogs capability,i just know that these intruders wouldn't think twice about putting a bullet through the dog. And Ares and Angel would go hysterical should any such thing happen to the animal and I'm not so sure i have enough energy to deal with two hysterical kids.

The dog whinnied at being kept from doing his job but obeyed and kept to simply barking out his frustrations from the Sitting area,guarding the entrance of the house.

Making my way through the backyard and i spot the huge tree used as a shade during summer days,stuffing my handguns in my pants I quickly climbed it, i make my way to one of the hard and steady branches and made home.
Pulling out the monitor from my pants pocket i see about eight objects moving towards the house, luckily it was only those 8 within the perimeter.
Cocking his guns i release the safety pins and wait.

2mintues away, I estimate.

I can feel the adrenaline of my job sipping back in my veins, I missed the marines and would love to go back someday but right now i was most happy being a Dad,besides after Jason's death i wouldn't stomach the battlefield any more. I was more than happy doing small jobs like being hired to kill his kids father and coming home to my little minions.

Speaking of Valentino,its been a little over three weeks since I introduced him to the kids and so far the mafia Don was nothing but a gentle and loving giant. The kids absolutely adored Valentino and spent almost everyday with him. He would come early to pick them up for school and kept them for a few hours. Also Dad and Valentino where getting along quite well,actually Dad has always been better with people than i am,Valentino was an easy going guy,despite his cold and intimidating demeanour he was actually not bad.

60 seconds

Luca Capaldi was another surprising contrast to our lives,Valentino's cousin from some distant family relative was an ever present face around the house, Valentino brought him together with three others as extra security during the day as I refused to have them in the night because they kept Ares and Angel awake with their playful banter.