Chapter 3 - Do-overs

At a young age, Katsuki learned that there are no do-overs in life.

He was 14 years old. At the back of the classroom sat a boy with curly green hair. The teacher mentioned how Izuku wanted to go to UA High. The school that Katsuki wanted to go to. Deku wasn't going to make it anyway. He was quirkless! Katsuki thought he should discourage his old friend from chasing after unattainable dreams. He was only saving Deku from unnecessary suffering and a likely miserable demise.

Katsuki stood up from his desk as the bell rang, signaling the end of the school day.

After threatening Izuku like he usually did, he turned to leave. Stopping just short of the door, he said with a smirk, "If you want a quirk so bad, just pray you'll get one in your next life and take a swan dive off the roof of the building."

Later that day, as he was walking with his lackeys, a villain attacked him. His so-called friends abandoned him without hesitation. Just like that. No second glance. No nothing.

His breath was replaced with liquid.

He couldn't speak.

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't fight back.

He was going to die without ever becoming the best.

It would all be over...

No.

He wasn't ready yet. He had so many dreams and ambitions. So many things left unsaid. Who would keep that damn nerd in his place if he didn't?

Even if it was for a few measly minutes, he couldn't give up. Not yet.

He had to fight. He had to live.

Thrashing and setting off the biggest explosions he ever had before, he finally saw him, All Might.

The rest was a blur.

Muddled together in his scrambled head.

His mind was a shuffled puzzle.

Katsuki was seated on the curb next to an ambulance, a tough, gray blanket laid over his shoulders.

Heroes and the press praised him for his bravery.

His mother blamed him for being weak enough to be attacked.

His face was in the news. People he didn't even know, would recognize him.

Rumors spread.

Coming to school the next day, he found a room packed with venomous eyes.

Though they weren't judging him for the reasons he thought.

Sitting down at his desk, the teacher started the day off with an announcement. "I am sorry to inform you all but Midoriya will no longer be attending class as he has passed away."

The world stopped spinning that day.

The word spread of the reason for Deku's passing.

Suicide.

Just like Katsuki had told him, he took that swan dive.

Rumors spread.

People avoided him.

Rumors spread.

People called him a villain.

Rumors spread.

He was all alone.

Katsuki never told a soul about what he said that day.

He never told anyone about the boy he killed.

He fell silent.

All he could do now was work. How dare he tell Deku he couldn't be a hero when Katsuki couldn't be the best one?

He made friends in high school. Though he could never really have friends. One day, they'd all leave him.

Because Katsuki was a villain.

A monster.

If they didn't leave him first, Katsuki would end up killing them.

Just like he killed... Deku.

He became irrational and violent. Two things when mixed together, never bring anything good.

After high school when he moved out, his parents became terribly worried about him. They suggested he get a pet to mellow him down and keep him company.

Deciding to take their advice, he adopted a little gray kitten he named, Susu. She did calm him to an extent but nothing would stop him from becoming #1.

Years passed and he finally made it. #1.

Finally, he could repent for what he did.

Finally, he could be a hero.

Finally, he wouldn't be a monster anymore.

But nothing changed. People still called him a villain for his mannerisms. People were still scared of him. He was still

alone.

Now here he was, the boy he killed, sat inches away from his face. The pain in his leg was too overwhelming for this to be a dream or a hallucination. He's had them before. He's seen him everywhere, though he knew it wasn't real.

It had to be a lie or a trick. There are no do-overs in this world.

Shoving the man wearing the dead boy's face away, backing up into the wall. "No! Stop lying!"

The man put his hands up in front of him to calm Katsuki down. "It's me, Kacchan. It's Izuku."

Shaking his head frantically, he shouted, "You're lying! Deku is dead!" He avoided the man's eyes, turning away and shutting his eyes.

The man grasped Katsuki's chin and yanked him back. "Look at me, Kacchan. It's me."

Gazing into the hollowed emerald green eyes, he knew.

This wasn't a trick, nor a lie.

The boy he killed all those years ago was alive.

Deku was alive.

Could Katsuki really get his do-over?