Chapter 17 - A Mind To Mold

That night, after they ate dinner and crawled into bed, Katsuki decided to talk. The lights were out and they were cuddled together, Katsuki's back pressed up against Izuku's chest, Susu curled up in the crook of Izuku's bent knee. In time, Izuku learned to like the little creature.

Opening his eyes and looking out into the darkness, Katsuki softly called, "Izuku?"

The bed rustled as Izuku lifted his head to answer. "Yes, my love?"

...

"Do you love me?" Katsuki asked.

"Why would you ask me that, Kacchan? Of course I love you." Izuku's grip on Katsuki only tightened.

After taking in several calming breaths, Katsuki said, "You don't treat me very well."

Izuku constricted his grasp on Katsuki. "Where is this coming from? Was it that Kirishima boy? Who would ever dare to suggest that I don't love you?" Katsuki didn't know which question to answer first but Izuku only took that as a sign of guilt. "So it was Kirishima! I won't let him take you away from me."

Katsuki started to squirm as Izuku pulled him in too tight. "No, it wasn't him! I'm sorry! I'm just confused, I didn't mean it!"

Izuku locked his arms in place, curling his head into the crook of Katsuki's neck. "I won't let him tempt you any longer." Katsuki felt his breath limiting and that threw him into a panic. Prying Izuku's iron claws off of him and unhooking their legs, he scrambled to get out of the bed. "Kacchan, where are you going!?"

Once Katsuki was safely on the floor, he grabbed his pillow off the bed. "I'm going to sleep on the couch." He was too tired to listen to anything more Izuku had to say. Walking out of the bedroom and into the living room, he almost made it to the couch. A sudden and intense pain racked his body making him drop his pillow onto the table next to the couch which had a glass lamp on it. He fell to his knees away from the lamp. Once it was over, Katsuki's heart pumped with adrenaline and his breathing was unsteady. Glancing over, he realized the lamp had broken.

What just happened? Where did that come from? Why? Katsuki felt the collar around his neck. Izuku didn't... No, he wouldn't... It had been almost two years since Izuku zapped him. Tears spilled freely from Katsuki's eyes, though he couldn't understand why. Katsuki should've expected this. This was all Katsuki's fault.

From the bedroom, he could hear, "Kacchan! Get back in here! Come to bed! Kacchan, come back here right now or so help me-" Izuku stopped when he saw Katsuki standing in the doorway. Izuku had his phone in his hand, button at the ready. "Come here," Izuku ordered. Katsuki sniffled and went around to the other side of the bed and put his pillow down. Falling into the bed and pulling the covers over himself, he tried to lay as far on the edge as he could without falling off. Izuku was unsatisfied with this and said again, "Come here. I won't say it again." Swallowing a sob, Katsuki scooted back to press against Izuku. Strong arms pulled him into an iron grip. "Good boy," Izuku praised, pressing kisses to the back of Katsuki's neck.

Katsuki pulled his knees up to curl into his chest. He couldn't hold back anymore. Sobbing loudly into his pillow, Izuku soothed him from behind by rubbing small circles on the middle of his back.

Deep down he knew that this house was no different from the barred cell Izuku first threw him into.

He'd never be happy here.

Katsuki felt Izuku's lips at his ear. "I love you, Kacchan. I'd die without you."

But he just couldn't leave.

——*——

Waking up early, Katsuki carefully untangled himself and got out of that bed. Going down the hallway, he paused to look at the pictures on the walls. He had made good memories with Izuku. The past four years haven't been absolute hell, just a little stressful. Sure, Izuku can get angry but doesn't everyone? Every couple fights, right? Izuku has changed, right?

Entering the living room, he pressed his lips into a thin line as he saw the broken glass on the floor. Memories of last night became much more real. He knew Izuku didn't mean to hurt him. Izuku loved him. Someone would never hurt someone they love, right? Finding a broom and dustpan, he cleaned up the lamp and threw it away. Once he was done, he let out a sigh of relief. Happy to have the evidence of their fight gone.

Sitting outside on the bench, he watched the people pass by, per his routine. A small part of him wanted to be with them. To be free. Realizing his own thoughts, he fought hard to push them back down. It would only cause trouble to think like that. The trouble was exhausting. It was much easier to just avoid those thoughts before they turned into something more.

He absentmindedly picked at his collar. Why did he even have to wear this thing? It was clear that Katsuki would never gain the courage to leave Izuku. Hovering his hand over his chest, right over the mark, he remembered how Izuku had snuffed out any possibility of that a long time ago.

Turning his attention to the door as Izuku opened it, Izuku made a motion for Katsuki to scoot over. Sitting down on the bench next to Katsuki, Izuku stared out into the street with him for a while in silence before speaking. "Something needs to be done about Kirishima. He knows you're alive and he knows where we live. He is a threat."

"Eijirou would never hurt me."

Izuku sighed, closed his eyes, and slowly shook his head. "Yes, he would. You'd just never see it. That's why you need me to protect you, you don't see these things clearly." Izuku turned to Katsuki and held one of his hands gently between his. "He's just trying to turn you against me. He doesn't care about you like I do." Izuku smiled sweetly. "Trust me when I tell you that I'd never hurt you."

His eyes were so soft and sincere. His words, smooth and sweet like honey.

They lured Katsuki right in.

A mind perfect for Izuku to mold.