Chapter 18 - Gates

As the week progressed, more and more unwelcome thoughts plagued Katsuki's mind. He had been stalling Izuku from going out and he was running out of excuses. He knew what Izuku was planning on doing to Eijirou but he just couldn't let him. The longer Katsuki kept him, the more irritable Izuku became. Even when Katsuki wasn't doing anything, he'd be angry. He was being pulled in different directions and he worried he'd be torn in half if it continued any longer. He needed to do something.

He needed to make a choice.

Katsuki was currently on the couch with Izuku. He pressed slow kisses to Izuku's neck in an effort to calm him down. In a bored tone, Izuku simply stated, "I'm hungry." Katsuki nodded and hugged Izuku quickly before getting up and going to the kitchen.

After heating up some leftover soup, he put it in a mug and put a spoon in there, and called it good. Relaxing his muscles, he walked back over to the couch. He was painfully aware of each step. The room heated up and closed in on him as he handed Izuku the mug and sat down. Wrapping his arms around Izuku, he held the man close to him. His heart pounded so fast that he feared it would pound right out of his chest.

Izuku paid no mind to Katsuki as he ate. Finishing it quickly and setting the mug on the coffee table, Izuku went back to watching tv. Lightly tugging at Izuku's shirt, Katsuki offered gently, "Why don't you take a nap and I'll clean up the house?" Izuku grumbled something drowsily and crashed out the moment Katsuki moved to let him lay down.

The drug Katsuki snuck into the mug must've worked quickly.

Katsuki wrote a quick note. He had so much more to say but he didn't know how long he had before Izuku would wake up. Rushing to the bathroom, he kneeled down in front of the vent and unscrewed it from the wall with the screwdriver he had hidden under the sink. Once it was off, he reached in and took out a small device. He had made it in the first year when he was much bolder. He made it to short circuit the collar without short-circuiting Katsuki in the process. He had no clue if it would work because he obviously never had the chance to test it.

Steadying himself, he raised the device to the collar and braced himself in anticipation. After pressing a button, a few sparks flew out of the collar along with some steam. He put down the device and wrapped his fist around the collar. Targeting the rough fabric part of it, he blasted it with his quirk as hard as he could muster. With a small boom, the collar clattered on the floor.

He was filled with exhilaration once his neck was finally free. His body was filled with a new energy that he hadn't felt in a very long time. Standing back up and moving quickly around the house, he grabbed what few possessions he wanted to take with him and stuffed them in a backpack. Lastly, he put Susu in the bag and left enough of it open for her to stick her head out. What? It's not like he was going to leave his cat behind with a madman.

Putting on his shoes and going outside, he reached the gate that kept him enclosed here. He hovered his hand over the latch. Once he set foot on the other side, there was no turning back. If Izuku caught him, he would not be kind. He might throw Katsuki back in a cell, too untrustworthy to see the light of day again. Katsuki could lose all the progress he made with Izuku.

What if Izuku actually does what he said he'd do if Katsuki left? Katsuki couldn't handle being responsible for Izuku's suicide again.

But it was more than all of that. Katsuki knew deep down that he needed to leave. He couldn't live under Izuku's thumb anymore.

He needed help.

With a deep breath, he unlocked the gate and stepped out.

And then he took another step.

And then another.

And another.

Soon he was running down the street. He needed to run as far as his legs would take him. Damn Izuku for hiding the car keys.

His mind screamed at him that he was making a mistake. Every part of his body was telling him to go back but he pushed further.

When the streets became more crowded and taller buildings became more frequent, he stopped anyone he could find and asked them where the police station was. Most people turned him away but one nice older lady gave him directions. He thanked her immensely then took off. His legs and lunges were close to giving out and his head wasn't helping much either. He looked like a frightened animal.

The rest of it was a blur. He made it to the police station, told them who he was, and sent them to his house to arrest Izuku. After sitting down for a while in a daze, his eyes landed on a phone. Stumbling over, he dialed the only number he knew he could trust.

Eijirou.

After ringing a couple of times, the phone was picked up. "Hello." He heard from the other side, except something was off.

That was not Eijirou's voice.