24

Xander's POV

"You got fourth-degree burns on your ribs and waist." The doc inhaled the cigarette in his mouth while he reached for some bandages in his bag. "That's why you ain't feeling nothing. Your nerve ending is destroyed." He explained.

"I don't need an explanation. Just fix it." I spat.

"Fine." He muttered, "some patients just like an explanation of exac-" he trailed off into a rant. I'd kill him if he weren't part of the cartel. He's been around since my father was still in power. He was well trusted and loyal, so I let his smart mouth and antics pass. "All done." He finished laying the clean white bandage over my deep wound. "Change the bandages every couple hours. No drinking, and here are some pain killers for when it starts hurting." He slapped a bottle on the nightstand. "Reframe from any more life-threatening jobs for a while." He rolled his eyes and got up without a word. Just as he did, Henry, Felipe, and the four goons walked in.

"Bye, doc. Thanks for patching him up." Henry called out to him as he walked out the door.

"Yeah yeah." He waved him off. He exited the door, closing it tightly behind him.

"Why are you all in here?" I asked, slightly annoyed that I was in the presence of everyone but the person I wanted.

"We came to check on you, of course." Julian smiled at me.

I scoffed. "Sure." I can tell by the look on their goofy faces that they wanted something.

"Okay fine." Pedro breathed out, "We want to go drink with some of your guys...is that cool with you?" Pedro quickly said, squinting his eyes like it would shield him from my wrath.

"I don't fucking care." I waved them off. "If I find out you guys are starting shit, I'll personally kick your asses," I warned even though I knew they were bound to start a drunk fight with another member. It happened all the time.

"Ooo," Pedro cooed, "your injured boss, kicking our asses doesn't look possible."

"I'd say it's possible," I said, pulling the gun from under my waist and pointing it at him.

"Okay. Got it." Pedro's eyes widened, and he scurried off along with Julian, but everyone else stayed behind.

"Now, what do you both want?" I pushed myself up from the chair I was in with a groan and began walking to my closet. My clothes were still stained with that bastard's blood, and my clothes reeked of sweat and smoke.

"Is it okay if we go check on Harley?" Emilio said. My head snapped to him as her name left his mouth. After we got here, the doc checked on her, ruled it as an upper respiratory problem, and said she'd be fine. Her face was wiped of her usual olive skin tone, and her pink lips now wore a shade of purple. I couldn't look at her unconscious body anymore. I left her in the care of my most trusted maids. Looking at her like that made my chest tighten and every muscle in my body clench. The longer I stayed staring at her, the angrier I got at myself. If I didn't leave her, I'm sure I'd explode and do something I'd regret. I've accepted my feelings for Harley; I always knew they were there, but Harley would never reciprocate them. It was a burden I couldn't put on her right now.

"No. Leave her." Is all I said. I didn't want anyone by her but me. "I'll let you know when you can see her." I unbuttoned my shirt.

"But I-" Emilio started, but I stopped him.

"I said no." I spat. Right now, I wanted her to myself, by herself.

"Yes, sir," Ralph answered, pulling his brother with him out of my bedroom door and shutting it behind him.