38

Harley's POV

I left for Avery's house early in the morning. I couldn't wait any longer to see her. The entire drive there, I couldn't help but think about what Xander might've been doing. How was he feeling? It was strange waking up in my own bed in an unfamiliar room and with unfamiliar scents. The bed was harder than Xander's, and the covers more scratchy. I would've never noticed it before I lived at the estate. I guess I had been pampered.

Avery's black BMV was in the driveway when I got there. A film of dust and pollen covered the car like she hadn't washed it or used it in weeks, which was unnatural for Avery. She loved to be out in the streets, getting us into trouble whenever she could. My legs were quivering slightly as I walked to her door. Nothing has changed except for a couple more fancy cars. Daniel must be doing well. Of course, he was.

Normally before I could even knock on the door, I'd hear Avery's dog barking hysterically through the small windows in the mudroom. They were two bright golden retrievers. I didn't hear them as I approached the door. In fact, I didn't hear anything at all. It was dark from the outside, and the entire house looks lifeless. I peered in through the windows. The large gold ringed mirror that was usually next to the door was gone. The two unnecessarily big palm trees that stood next to the wooden staircase were also gone. Most of the furniture I was used to seeing and not touching was gone. Had they moved? But Avery's car was still in the driveway. Maybe she left it and was coming back for it? But there were a lot of cars left here. There were four black Lincoln SUVs on the opposite side of the street, the kind Xander and the guys drove. Everything looked chaotic but eerie and quiet. There must be someone here. Although I'd rather not talk to Daniel at all, I would do it if it meant I could see Avery right away.

With a tight fist, I knocked on the dark oak door. There was stained glass in the middle, and the knock was a long elegant black metal knob. I loved the curve of it. The door was thick, so perhaps I should have knocked harder. So again, I knocked; this time, I pounded so even from the third floor, it'd be heard.

"Who the Fuck is it!? If it's the Amazon prime guy, just leave the fucking package on the porch. You do not have to knock-" Avery cursed as she walked down the stairs. With every step she took, I could hear her clearly. My mouth curled into a smile. I'm glad she didn't let anything take away her blunt attitude. Although Avery was petite and her feet the size of a middle schooler's, I could hear every step that pounded against her polished wooden floor.

"Here I com-" she was in front of me. She swung the door open with an eye roll but quickly paused when her eyes landed on me. Her black zipper hoodie, which she most likely stole from her dad, was handing off her shoulder. Her long slender legs were poking out of a pair of Nike shorts. Her feet were barefoot, her pedicure long gone. Her once honey-golden face was pale now, and a salon hadn't touched her blonde hair in over a month. Her roots were grown out to an extent that Avery usually would have never allowed. Her pink lips chapped and cracked, and her usual decorated ears with diamond earrings were empty. But she was Avery.

"Hey." That is all I could manage out when a deep hoarse sob sputtered out of my mouth. Then, Like the dam inside my body that was forcing sobs and cries not to pour out, I let it burst open.

"H-Harley." Silent, stern, cold tears slide down Avery's face in the most aesthetically pleasing way. That's the way she was. Everything about her beautiful. Even her tears. "N-no. No, this can't," she began. She clasped her callous hand over her mouth. I cringed at the sound of a painful sob leaving her mouth.

With nothing else to say or do, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her to me. I smelled like sweaty rain and dust. She smelled like purple tortilla chips--her favorite snack--and unwashed hair. I rubbed my hand over her matted hair as she sobbed into my shoulder. I let her, not bothering to reposition her, so she wasn't drooling on my collarbone. I didn't care. I was just glad to be with her.